Art, Community, Edge

Christmas DIY: Winter Snow Globe

The end of every semester leaves us all feeling weary and uninspired. We find ourselves reminiscing about more stress-free times, from formals to homecoming week to football games. Capturing these memories in a whimsical little bubble, protected from the chaos of finals, is not too far-fetched with a snow globe just at the end of your keyboard.

Do it yourself snow globes serve both as a foolproof study break or holiday gift for a friend. Creating one of these perfect worlds yourself is inexpensive, 100 percent customizable and makes your memories all the more valuable.

All you’ll need is a clean jar, a photo of your choice, clear packaging tape, a small piece of styrofoam, glitter, a hot glue gun and spare glue sticks, water, and light corn syrup. You can also add small winter-themed figurines for more of a holiday touch.

supplies.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Begin with prepping your photo. To do this, cut around the edges of the photo so that it will fit the width of your clear packaging tape. Stick the image to the tape, fold the tape over the back, and smooth out any air bubbles so that it is well-sealed and won’t be damaged by the water. You can also opt to get the photo laminated to be extra careful.

photo prep.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

photo prep 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Next, trim the piece of Styrofoam to fit the underside of the jar lid. The Styrofoam will help to elevate your photo and figurines just past the screw-like rim so you can see everything perfectly on the side of the jar.

Create a slit on the Styrofoam to fit your photo in and keep it in place with a dab of hot glue. Glue your figurines, if any, to the Styrofoam as well, then glue the Styrofoam to the underside of the jar lid.

styrofoam 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Some people use glycerin in their DIY snow globe water mixtures to help the glitter fall more gradually. Since glycerin may be hard to find in some stores, light corn syrup works just as well. Fill the jar with water, mix in a teaspoon of light corn syrup and add a glitter of your choice. Fine glitter performs best. Start with a small amount, then add more as desired.

corn syrup.gif

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

glitter.gif

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

All that’s left now is to screw your lid tightly into place. If you think your lid may not fit snuggly enough, use hot glue to seal it shut. It just may be a bit difficult to open it again once it cools. Decorating the outside with twine or string also adds a nice touch, but is totally optional.

final 1.jpg

final 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Shake up your magical world, then watch the “snow” fall peacefully. That favorite, fleeting memory from the semester now might just stand the test of time (and finals).

Genesis Cosme

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...