Art, Community, Edge

Christmas DIY: Winter Snow Globe

The end of every semester leaves us all feeling weary and uninspired. We find ourselves reminiscing about more stress-free times, from formals to homecoming week to football games. Capturing these memories in a whimsical little bubble, protected from the chaos of finals, is not too far-fetched with a snow globe just at the end of your keyboard.

Do it yourself snow globes serve both as a foolproof study break or holiday gift for a friend. Creating one of these perfect worlds yourself is inexpensive, 100 percent customizable and makes your memories all the more valuable.

All you’ll need is a clean jar, a photo of your choice, clear packaging tape, a small piece of styrofoam, glitter, a hot glue gun and spare glue sticks, water, and light corn syrup. You can also add small winter-themed figurines for more of a holiday touch.

supplies.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Begin with prepping your photo. To do this, cut around the edges of the photo so that it will fit the width of your clear packaging tape. Stick the image to the tape, fold the tape over the back, and smooth out any air bubbles so that it is well-sealed and won’t be damaged by the water. You can also opt to get the photo laminated to be extra careful.

photo prep.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

photo prep 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Next, trim the piece of Styrofoam to fit the underside of the jar lid. The Styrofoam will help to elevate your photo and figurines just past the screw-like rim so you can see everything perfectly on the side of the jar.

Create a slit on the Styrofoam to fit your photo in and keep it in place with a dab of hot glue. Glue your figurines, if any, to the Styrofoam as well, then glue the Styrofoam to the underside of the jar lid.

styrofoam 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Some people use glycerin in their DIY snow globe water mixtures to help the glitter fall more gradually. Since glycerin may be hard to find in some stores, light corn syrup works just as well. Fill the jar with water, mix in a teaspoon of light corn syrup and add a glitter of your choice. Fine glitter performs best. Start with a small amount, then add more as desired.

corn syrup.gif

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

glitter.gif

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

All that’s left now is to screw your lid tightly into place. If you think your lid may not fit snuggly enough, use hot glue to seal it shut. It just may be a bit difficult to open it again once it cools. Decorating the outside with twine or string also adds a nice touch, but is totally optional.

final 1.jpg

final 2.jpg

Photo credit: Genesis Cosme

Shake up your magical world, then watch the “snow” fall peacefully. That favorite, fleeting memory from the semester now might just stand the test of time (and finals).

Genesis Cosme

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...