10 Songs guaranteed to get you in the holiday spirit

Christmastime is a great time of year. There are so many ways for us to get into the coveted holiday spirit—whether that be spending hours finding the perfect gifts for your loved ones, curling up with a cup of hot chocolate in front of the fireplace, or baking your favorite holiday dessert. The best way is through music. If you aren’t sure where to start, here are ten Christmas songs I think are perfect for getting ready for theMost Wonderful Time of the Year.”

1. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, 1994

3be352ad37c3194ced44325001553c67.1000x1000x1.jpg

Iconic—that’s the only way to describe Mariah Carey’s 1994 hit “All I want for Christmas is You”. From frat parties to office holiday parties, you simply cannot get through the season without hearing Carey reminding us of her only Christmas wish—to see her lover. Every year immediately, after Halloween, Carey’s hit holiday tune begins to rise from the ashes to the top of the charts, and just like clockwork, by Dec. 1, it enters the top 10.

2. “Last Christmas” by WHAM!, 1986

tumblr_lcz1xeqdbv1qbgvpz.jpg

“Last Christmas” is not exactly the happiest Christmas song, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the most popular, biggest-selling, and one that we all know every word to. Though the lyrics read “Last Christmas, I gave you my heart / But the very next day you gave it away / This year, to save me from tears / I’ll give it to someone special,” the catchy melody makes you forget you’re singing about a failed relationship.

3. “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole, 1961

51xG-isCZZL.jpg

A true classic that will definitely get you feeling nostalgic and eager to reunite with family next to the fireplace. Written in 1945, “The Christmas Song” is one known by almost everybody and has been re-recorded by some of our favorite modern artists, including pop legend Christina Aguilera and Christmas king Michael Bublé.

4. “This Christmas” by Chris Brown, 2007

7739e7cc8697e2b2fab7b38c0f81da6f.600x600x1.jpg

Written by Donny Hathaway in 1970 but popularized by Chris Brown in 2007 through the movie of the same name, “This Christmas” is a staple for your Christmas party playlist.

5. “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber, 2011

Under_the_Mistletoe.jpg

This song definitely gives me flashbacks to my middle school days when JB released his iconic Christmas album, Under the Mistletoe, probably not knowing that “Mistletoe” would become a staple song for the holiday season,

6. “Greatest Time of Year” by Aly & AJ, 2006

220px-Greatest_Time_of_Year_(Aly_&_AJ_single_-_cover_art).jpg

Another nostalgic song from our childhoods. “Greatest Time of Year” is from Aly & AJ’s 2006 Christmas album, Acoustic Hearts of Winter, but is most popular for being featured in The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause movie. If you were a Disney Channel fan during that era, you are certainly familiar with this super catchy song that gives us a warm, excited feeling similar to how children feel waking up to the gifts Santa Clause left for them.

7. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Sam Smith, 2014

61JoJuCIRYL._SS500.jpg

Originally by Judy Garland in 1944, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is nothing short of a Christmas classic. This song has been remade by a plethora of artists, but there is something about Sam Smith’s version that really embodies the Christmas spirit and can probably make even the “Scroogiest” person want to sing along.

8. “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams, 1963

268x0w.jpg

Now I know that I’ve been spewing about “classics” throughout this whole list. However, Andy Williams’s 1963 hit “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” is basically THE Christmas classic. When you hear that opening trumpet, you know immediately what’s coming next. This is the song most used in malls and advertisements to get us hyped and ready to spend some coins during this special time of year.

9. “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” by *NSYNC, 1998

Home_for_Christmas.png

Released in 1998, *NSYNC’s “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” is definitely the feel-good song that you absolutely NEED to include on your Christmas playlist.

10. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Michael Buble, 2011

508d57cabceffef36333a9adda61280b.1000x1000x1.jpg

Michael Buble is basically the voice of Christmas (behind Mariah Carey, of course). Buble’s 2011 album, Christmas, is just as soothing and beautiful as you’d imagine. “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” is perfect for driving home for the holidays, decorating, or just unwinding after a long day. If you want a fool-proof way to slip into the holiday spirit, Mr. Buble is definitely your guy.

Click here to listen to my complete collection of holiday tunes.