UM student dies one week after out-of-town collision

A University of Miami student died Saturday, succumbing to injuries sustained in a car accident one week earlier.

Pantea Azizi Tourshizi, a freshman from Italy, was visiting family in Walnut Creek, California over Thanksgiving break when her car was impacted in a head-on collision after midnight on Saturday, Nov. 24. She was traveling with two other adults, according to the East Bay Times. The collision was caused by a pick-up truck driver suspected to be driving under the influence. He was already under probation for a past DUI.

Pantea came from Italy, where her family worked, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, and her Facebook profile said she was originally from Dubai. She was majoring in microbiology.

“By all accounts, she had adjusted well to the USA and simply went to California to be with her aunt and family for the Thanksgiving break,” Whitely said, saying the accident was “simply so sad and tragic.”

Pantea was the fourth UM student to die this semester.

Details for a memorial are pending, Whitely said, and an official notice will be sent to the university community Monday, Dec. 3.

Grace Wehniainen

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...