UM student dies one week after out-of-town collision

A University of Miami student died Saturday, succumbing to injuries sustained in a car accident one week earlier.

Pantea Azizi Tourshizi, a freshman from Italy, was visiting family in Walnut Creek, California over Thanksgiving break when her car was impacted in a head-on collision after midnight on Saturday, Nov. 24. She was traveling with two other adults, according to the East Bay Times. The collision was caused by a pick-up truck driver suspected to be driving under the influence. He was already under probation for a past DUI.

Pantea came from Italy, where her family worked, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, and her Facebook profile said she was originally from Dubai. She was majoring in microbiology.

“By all accounts, she had adjusted well to the USA and simply went to California to be with her aunt and family for the Thanksgiving break,” Whitely said, saying the accident was “simply so sad and tragic.”

Pantea was the fourth UM student to die this semester.

Details for a memorial are pending, Whitely said, and an official notice will be sent to the university community Monday, Dec. 3.

Grace Wehniainen

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...