UM student dies one week after out-of-town collision

A University of Miami student died Saturday, succumbing to injuries sustained in a car accident one week earlier.

Pantea Azizi Tourshizi, a freshman from Italy, was visiting family in Walnut Creek, California over Thanksgiving break when her car was impacted in a head-on collision after midnight on Saturday, Nov. 24. She was traveling with two other adults, according to the East Bay Times. The collision was caused by a pick-up truck driver suspected to be driving under the influence. He was already under probation for a past DUI.

Pantea came from Italy, where her family worked, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, and her Facebook profile said she was originally from Dubai. She was majoring in microbiology.

“By all accounts, she had adjusted well to the USA and simply went to California to be with her aunt and family for the Thanksgiving break,” Whitely said, saying the accident was “simply so sad and tragic.”

Pantea was the fourth UM student to die this semester.

Details for a memorial are pending, Whitely said, and an official notice will be sent to the university community Monday, Dec. 3.

Grace Wehniainen

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...