UM student dies one week after out-of-town collision

A University of Miami student died Saturday, succumbing to injuries sustained in a car accident one week earlier.

Pantea Azizi Tourshizi, a freshman from Italy, was visiting family in Walnut Creek, California over Thanksgiving break when her car was impacted in a head-on collision after midnight on Saturday, Nov. 24. She was traveling with two other adults, according to the East Bay Times. The collision was caused by a pick-up truck driver suspected to be driving under the influence. He was already under probation for a past DUI.

Pantea came from Italy, where her family worked, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, and her Facebook profile said she was originally from Dubai. She was majoring in microbiology.

“By all accounts, she had adjusted well to the USA and simply went to California to be with her aunt and family for the Thanksgiving break,” Whitely said, saying the accident was “simply so sad and tragic.”

Pantea was the fourth UM student to die this semester.

Details for a memorial are pending, Whitely said, and an official notice will be sent to the university community Monday, Dec. 3.

Grace Wehniainen

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...