UM student dies one week after out-of-town collision

A University of Miami student died Saturday, succumbing to injuries sustained in a car accident one week earlier.

Pantea Azizi Tourshizi, a freshman from Italy, was visiting family in Walnut Creek, California over Thanksgiving break when her car was impacted in a head-on collision after midnight on Saturday, Nov. 24. She was traveling with two other adults, according to the East Bay Times. The collision was caused by a pick-up truck driver suspected to be driving under the influence. He was already under probation for a past DUI.

Pantea came from Italy, where her family worked, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, and her Facebook profile said she was originally from Dubai. She was majoring in microbiology.

“By all accounts, she had adjusted well to the USA and simply went to California to be with her aunt and family for the Thanksgiving break,” Whitely said, saying the accident was “simply so sad and tragic.”

Pantea was the fourth UM student to die this semester.

Details for a memorial are pending, Whitely said, and an official notice will be sent to the university community Monday, Dec. 3.

Grace Wehniainen

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...