Campus Life, Community, News

UThrift: UM’s mobile thrift store

One of the Green Committee’s newest initiatives, UThrift, seeks to help students reuse and recycle clothes instead of just cans.

Last year, sophomore international studies and French double major Nika Seider established UThrift–a mobile thrift store where students exchange their old items of clothing for new ones, or at least clothes that are new to them. For every item students donate to UThrift, they can take home a bonus piece of clothing for free, one that someone else donated.

UThrift is meant to help students reduce their participation in the fast-fashion industry, which often uses large amounts of water and contributes to air and water pollution. Reusing items that have already been made reduces the demand for new clothes and gives less power to companies with unsustainable environmental practices.

Additionally, this program helps to reduce waste by preventing clothes from being thrown away and ending up in landfills. Instead, UThrift provides students with a sustainable way to dispose of unwanted clothing.

“UThrift was started because we want to encourage the reusing of items,” said ECO-rep Sofia Mesa, a freshman double majoring in English and ecosystem science and policy. “Before people throw things away, we hope they can give it to us and then maybe there’s someone else out there that can use it.”

Mesa said she joined the UThrift initiative partially out of a personal love for thrift shopping but also because she felt overwhelmed by materialism.

“It’s nice to cut down and just keep things that you really, really love, to cut off all the extra stuff,” said Mesa, who works with the student government’s Green Committee. “Surprisingly, we get a lot of designer brands. We were just looking at a pair of Kate Spade shoes and we had a Vince Camuto striped shirt a little while ago too.”

Although clothes are its focus, UThrift hosts a wide variety of other tradable items, including shoes, books, and even office supplies.

UThrift will take anything that’s clean and in good condition, but the organizers make sure not to throw away anything, even items that don’t meet their standards. They donate them to other thrift stores so those items have the chance to be used by someone else, Mesa said.

Students can find the UThrift stand at the farmers market every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. UThrift also accepts drop-off donations in the student government ECO office at any time throughout the week. Mesa said her team, which also includes students Bhargavi Pochi and Jessica Nussbaum, is working on setting up donation bins around campus.

Natalia Rovira

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...