Campus Life, Community, News

UThrift: UM’s mobile thrift store

One of the Green Committee’s newest initiatives, UThrift, seeks to help students reuse and recycle clothes instead of just cans.

Last year, sophomore international studies and French double major Nika Seider established UThrift–a mobile thrift store where students exchange their old items of clothing for new ones, or at least clothes that are new to them. For every item students donate to UThrift, they can take home a bonus piece of clothing for free, one that someone else donated.

UThrift is meant to help students reduce their participation in the fast-fashion industry, which often uses large amounts of water and contributes to air and water pollution. Reusing items that have already been made reduces the demand for new clothes and gives less power to companies with unsustainable environmental practices.

Additionally, this program helps to reduce waste by preventing clothes from being thrown away and ending up in landfills. Instead, UThrift provides students with a sustainable way to dispose of unwanted clothing.

“UThrift was started because we want to encourage the reusing of items,” said ECO-rep Sofia Mesa, a freshman double majoring in English and ecosystem science and policy. “Before people throw things away, we hope they can give it to us and then maybe there’s someone else out there that can use it.”

Mesa said she joined the UThrift initiative partially out of a personal love for thrift shopping but also because she felt overwhelmed by materialism.

“It’s nice to cut down and just keep things that you really, really love, to cut off all the extra stuff,” said Mesa, who works with the student government’s Green Committee. “Surprisingly, we get a lot of designer brands. We were just looking at a pair of Kate Spade shoes and we had a Vince Camuto striped shirt a little while ago too.”

Although clothes are its focus, UThrift hosts a wide variety of other tradable items, including shoes, books, and even office supplies.

UThrift will take anything that’s clean and in good condition, but the organizers make sure not to throw away anything, even items that don’t meet their standards. They donate them to other thrift stores so those items have the chance to be used by someone else, Mesa said.

Students can find the UThrift stand at the farmers market every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. UThrift also accepts drop-off donations in the student government ECO office at any time throughout the week. Mesa said her team, which also includes students Bhargavi Pochi and Jessica Nussbaum, is working on setting up donation bins around campus.

Natalia Rovira

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...