Campus Life, Community, News

UThrift: UM’s mobile thrift store

One of the Green Committee’s newest initiatives, UThrift, seeks to help students reuse and recycle clothes instead of just cans.

Last year, sophomore international studies and French double major Nika Seider established UThrift–a mobile thrift store where students exchange their old items of clothing for new ones, or at least clothes that are new to them. For every item students donate to UThrift, they can take home a bonus piece of clothing for free, one that someone else donated.

UThrift is meant to help students reduce their participation in the fast-fashion industry, which often uses large amounts of water and contributes to air and water pollution. Reusing items that have already been made reduces the demand for new clothes and gives less power to companies with unsustainable environmental practices.

Additionally, this program helps to reduce waste by preventing clothes from being thrown away and ending up in landfills. Instead, UThrift provides students with a sustainable way to dispose of unwanted clothing.

“UThrift was started because we want to encourage the reusing of items,” said ECO-rep Sofia Mesa, a freshman double majoring in English and ecosystem science and policy. “Before people throw things away, we hope they can give it to us and then maybe there’s someone else out there that can use it.”

Mesa said she joined the UThrift initiative partially out of a personal love for thrift shopping but also because she felt overwhelmed by materialism.

“It’s nice to cut down and just keep things that you really, really love, to cut off all the extra stuff,” said Mesa, who works with the student government’s Green Committee. “Surprisingly, we get a lot of designer brands. We were just looking at a pair of Kate Spade shoes and we had a Vince Camuto striped shirt a little while ago too.”

Although clothes are its focus, UThrift hosts a wide variety of other tradable items, including shoes, books, and even office supplies.

UThrift will take anything that’s clean and in good condition, but the organizers make sure not to throw away anything, even items that don’t meet their standards. They donate them to other thrift stores so those items have the chance to be used by someone else, Mesa said.

Students can find the UThrift stand at the farmers market every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. UThrift also accepts drop-off donations in the student government ECO office at any time throughout the week. Mesa said her team, which also includes students Bhargavi Pochi and Jessica Nussbaum, is working on setting up donation bins around campus.

Natalia Rovira

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...