Community, News

Florida Priorities Summit to foster post-election conversation

The Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and Bradenton Herald will be hosting a Florida Priorities Summit at the University of Miami Nov. 13-14.

An assembly of Florida influencers selected for their work in each of five “priorities” – education, infrastructure, guns, environment and healthcare – will be joining in groups at the Shalala Student Center to discuss key issues affecting Florida. They will also present their findings and recommendations in public panels, all with the goal of highlighting Sunshine State-specific issues beyond the election cycle – and beyond parties, too.

“This project began with the goal of talking to leaders, decision makers and voters around the state to put a sharp focus on critical policy priorities they thought were most important,” said Rick Hirsch, managing editor of The Miami Herald, “and to make sure the election cycle included a discussion of them beyond the partisan back and forth.”

College journalists from throughout the state – from the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University, Florida A&M University, Miami-Dade College and UM will be covering the event with blog posts, live tweets and stories in their respective outlets.

They were invited “in an effort to make new voters part of the process,” Hirsch said, ” – from the perspective they would bring to reporting on the issues and with the audience that reads and watches the stories they create.”

To stay up-to-date with findings from the Florida Priorities Summit, visit FloridaPriorities.com and stay connected to The Miami Hurricane online.

Grace Wehniainen

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...