Community, News

Florida Priorities Summit to foster post-election conversation

The Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and Bradenton Herald will be hosting a Florida Priorities Summit at the University of Miami Nov. 13-14.

An assembly of Florida influencers selected for their work in each of five “priorities” – education, infrastructure, guns, environment and healthcare – will be joining in groups at the Shalala Student Center to discuss key issues affecting Florida. They will also present their findings and recommendations in public panels, all with the goal of highlighting Sunshine State-specific issues beyond the election cycle – and beyond parties, too.

“This project began with the goal of talking to leaders, decision makers and voters around the state to put a sharp focus on critical policy priorities they thought were most important,” said Rick Hirsch, managing editor of The Miami Herald, “and to make sure the election cycle included a discussion of them beyond the partisan back and forth.”

College journalists from throughout the state – from the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University, Florida A&M University, Miami-Dade College and UM will be covering the event with blog posts, live tweets and stories in their respective outlets.

They were invited “in an effort to make new voters part of the process,” Hirsch said, ” – from the perspective they would bring to reporting on the issues and with the audience that reads and watches the stories they create.”

To stay up-to-date with findings from the Florida Priorities Summit, visit FloridaPriorities.com and stay connected to The Miami Hurricane online.

Grace Wehniainen

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...