Community, News

Florida Priorities Summit to foster post-election conversation

The Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and Bradenton Herald will be hosting a Florida Priorities Summit at the University of Miami Nov. 13-14.

An assembly of Florida influencers selected for their work in each of five “priorities” – education, infrastructure, guns, environment and healthcare – will be joining in groups at the Shalala Student Center to discuss key issues affecting Florida. They will also present their findings and recommendations in public panels, all with the goal of highlighting Sunshine State-specific issues beyond the election cycle – and beyond parties, too.

“This project began with the goal of talking to leaders, decision makers and voters around the state to put a sharp focus on critical policy priorities they thought were most important,” said Rick Hirsch, managing editor of The Miami Herald, “and to make sure the election cycle included a discussion of them beyond the partisan back and forth.”

College journalists from throughout the state – from the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University, Florida A&M University, Miami-Dade College and UM will be covering the event with blog posts, live tweets and stories in their respective outlets.

They were invited “in an effort to make new voters part of the process,” Hirsch said, ” – from the perspective they would bring to reporting on the issues and with the audience that reads and watches the stories they create.”

To stay up-to-date with findings from the Florida Priorities Summit, visit FloridaPriorities.com and stay connected to The Miami Hurricane online.

Grace Wehniainen

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...