Community, News

Florida Priorities Summit to foster post-election conversation

The Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and Bradenton Herald will be hosting a Florida Priorities Summit at the University of Miami Nov. 13-14.

An assembly of Florida influencers selected for their work in each of five “priorities” – education, infrastructure, guns, environment and healthcare – will be joining in groups at the Shalala Student Center to discuss key issues affecting Florida. They will also present their findings and recommendations in public panels, all with the goal of highlighting Sunshine State-specific issues beyond the election cycle – and beyond parties, too.

“This project began with the goal of talking to leaders, decision makers and voters around the state to put a sharp focus on critical policy priorities they thought were most important,” said Rick Hirsch, managing editor of The Miami Herald, “and to make sure the election cycle included a discussion of them beyond the partisan back and forth.”

College journalists from throughout the state – from the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University, Florida A&M University, Miami-Dade College and UM will be covering the event with blog posts, live tweets and stories in their respective outlets.

They were invited “in an effort to make new voters part of the process,” Hirsch said, ” – from the perspective they would bring to reporting on the issues and with the audience that reads and watches the stories they create.”

To stay up-to-date with findings from the Florida Priorities Summit, visit FloridaPriorities.com and stay connected to The Miami Hurricane online.

Grace Wehniainen

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...