Community, News

Florida Priorities Summit to foster post-election conversation

The Miami Herald, el Nuevo Herald and Bradenton Herald will be hosting a Florida Priorities Summit at the University of Miami Nov. 13-14.

An assembly of Florida influencers selected for their work in each of five “priorities” – education, infrastructure, guns, environment and healthcare – will be joining in groups at the Shalala Student Center to discuss key issues affecting Florida. They will also present their findings and recommendations in public panels, all with the goal of highlighting Sunshine State-specific issues beyond the election cycle – and beyond parties, too.

“This project began with the goal of talking to leaders, decision makers and voters around the state to put a sharp focus on critical policy priorities they thought were most important,” said Rick Hirsch, managing editor of The Miami Herald, “and to make sure the election cycle included a discussion of them beyond the partisan back and forth.”

College journalists from throughout the state – from the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University, Florida A&M University, Miami-Dade College and UM will be covering the event with blog posts, live tweets and stories in their respective outlets.

They were invited “in an effort to make new voters part of the process,” Hirsch said, ” – from the perspective they would bring to reporting on the issues and with the audience that reads and watches the stories they create.”

To stay up-to-date with findings from the Florida Priorities Summit, visit FloridaPriorities.com and stay connected to The Miami Hurricane online.

Grace Wehniainen

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...