Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Alumnus perspective on the rankings and value of the UM experience

Years ago, Donna Shalala stated as a goal of her tenure – which included my undergraduate years – to bring UM into the top tier. Our rankings did increase for a time, peaking at 38 in 2011-12 but falling since to 53. While U.S. News & World Report methods may be questionable, I think this is a good impetus to step back and rethink UM’s trajectory.

These past decades, UM has made notable educational strides, especially in my own College of Arts and Sciences, adding a much-needed Classics Department. However, there has been too much emphasis on flashy new edifices and embellishments to student life. Administrative posts and costs have multiplied, while professor salaries are often markedly low for a school of our standing. And various ‘Canes football scandals of the twenty-first century suggest that unfortunately, we may not value dignity and integrity at UM as much as we ought.

I enjoyed life at UM and cherish the many lessons and memories from that time. But I’ve noticed many ‘Canes tend to consider the UM experience for the immediate sensations it offers rather than its value for the future, above and beyond “that piece of paper.” The skyrocketing tuition that is the price of the school’s ongoing facelift saddles many ‘Canes with massive debt at the start of adult life. Should UM be proud of this development?

I’d like to challenge current and future UM students: Go out partying just a little less often. “Getting involved” is worthwhile, but don’t neglect introspection at a young age. Take some interesting classes beyond what your degree requires. Take advantage of the Florida sunshine to read a few non-required books outdoors. Get any paid job, even several hours a week, and teach yourself budgeting skills. Work to optimize the return of your college investment, and you will be surprised at what you never knew UM and South Florida had to discover.

More to the point, you’ll make yourself a more interesting and complete person, and UM that much more interesting and complete. Rankings will come if and when they’re supposed to.

Nicholas Moses, B.A. History, 2007, writes from Paris, France.

Letter to the Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...