Edge, Music

WVUM’s Playlist of the Week

Welcome to the seventh edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, a list of 10 songs that—according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero—are absolute must-haves for any good playlist.

Georgia Anne Muldrow – “Blam” from Overload (Brainfeeder)

georgia-anne-muldrow-overload-brainfeeder.jpg

Producer + soul & jazz singer Georgia Anne Muldrow’s album just dropped on Flying Lotus’ Brainfeeder label, with production from Aloe Blacc & FlyLo himself.

Malou Beauvoir – “Kouzen” from Spiritwalker (Panthera)

RMcover7.png

Haitian influenced album by the lovely Malou Beauvoir encourages listeners to rise up to the force that is driving us apart and to be guided by the spiritual ancestry in everyone’s life.

Killiam Shakespeare – “Crispus Attacks (feat. DJ Jazzy Jeff)” from A Town Called Elsewhere (Self-Released)

a1568521619_10.jpg

There was once a time where loop makers, crate diggers and beatheads dominated hip-hop. With the rise of figures like J Dilla and Madlib, genre blending hip-hop producers like Killiam Shakespeare are making jazzy, trippy beats that sound like a dream where all your favorite records are playing at once in perfect harmony.

Sun Breaks – “Summer of Broken Bones” from All On Camera (Suicide Squeeze)

a0900347000_10.jpg

On first listen, Sun Breaks sounds like one of a thousand quirky indie bands in the vein of Animal Collective. Though they just might be one of the thousand, their deceptively intricate production coupled with their irresistible positivity shows an unpretentious band that simply wants to make feel-good, wonky pop.

Heaters – “Lysander” from Suspended Youth (Beyond Beyond Is Beyond)

a0911332484_10.jpg

Heaters take cues from the lush, full-bodied guitar work of Johnny Marr, the sound that launched The Smiths into indie legend. They take it one step further, employing a dual guitar attack that captures the same youthful angst but with a dreamy sheen.

Rosalía – “BAGDAD – Cap.7: Liturgia” from El Mar Querer (Sony)

41aHDgvBJlL._SS500.jpg

The Spanish singer’s second album links her roots of flamenco to modern R&B to create a global storytelling piece.

All Them Witches – “1st vs. 2nd” from ATW (New West)

a1986850275_10.jpg

A hot slab of gool ol’ fashioned Texas rock. Pounding blues riffs, light psychedelics and miles and miles of finger lickin’ guitar solos.

Miss Kittin – “Cosmic Address” from Cosmos (Nobody’s Bizzness)

61j45PHkhrL._SS500.jpg

Kittin is back with Cosmos taking influence from New Wave and 90s techno to gather a sound that electronic lovers can always rely on.

Scuba – “Lay” from SUB:STANCE In Retrograde (Hotflush)

0.jpg

Scuba produces some of the finest techno in the UK tradition but is criminally unknown by American audiences. “Lay” features a cloud of jazzy piano licks revolving around an intricate beat.

dj. flugvel og geimskip – “Have fun at home” (Our Atlantic)

Capture.JPG

Iceland is a magical place powered by geothermal vents and fairy dust, which explains why it rates so high on the World Happiness Index. “Have fun at home” is what happens when you take the silliest parts of Björk and distill it into a fine spirit.

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings on Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...