Campus Life, Community, News

UM Counseling Center offers new app to promote mental health

The University of Miami Counseling Center announced Oct. 26 that they will be offering a new online service for students 一 WellTrack, an interactive self-help and therapy app that will allow students to receive counseling on the go.

Dr. Rene Monteagudo, director of the counseling center, said the WellTrack app will give students immediate access to tools that control anxiety and depression.

“When students are struggling with how they are feeling, I always encourage them to reach out to others and talk about what is going on with them,” said Monteagudo. “That can be with a friend, family member and in some cases with counselors at the counseling center. WellTrack can be a tool in your tool box of things you reach out to when seeking support.”

WellTrack seeks to help students tackle anxiety and depression through the use of different tools and services. The app includes a “MoodCheck” feature that reminders users to track their feelings throughout the day, allowing them to better understand what affects their moods in positive and negative ways.

Additionally, WellTrack has a virtual “Zen Room” that encourages students to customize a meditation experience and learn the practices of deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation. There is also a public speaking course that aims to alleviate anxiety around presentations and speeches.

Julia Wilson, a sophomore at UM and a member of the Counseling Outreach Peer Education program, said the new app will allow students to monitor themselves. Its convenience will make it easier for students who can’t or won’t go to the counseling center, she said.

“I think it will help because it breaks down depression, anxiety and stress,” Wilson said. “It tells you if you’re fine, mildly or extremely anxious, and has different activities and quizzes to help with that. It’ll help people be more self aware of when they need to slow down and adjust.”

Wilson said although getting an appointment with the counseling center is fairly easy, finding the time to actually get there can be challenging for students, especially those with a heavy course load. She said WellTrack can prevent minor issues from snowballing into major struggles because it grants students access to help in the palm of their hands.

Clementine Talmage, a sophomore business major, said she thinks WellTrack could act as a stepping stone towards controlling students’ everyday anxieties.

“I feel like there’s way too many people who are always saying how freaked out about things they are, and they’re going into a head spin about stuff,” said Talmage. “Its unhealthy and there’s so many people turning to different sorts of drugs to either relax or to amplify their brain.”

Hopefully, WellTrack will provide students with healthier coping mechanisms, Talmage said.

The app is available on the iTunes store and the Google Play store. Other universities across the country have also started to offer WellTrack to their students, including Boston College and Vanderbilt University.

Although WellTrack can be a useful mental-health tool, Dr. Monteagudo said students should not use it as a replacement for professional care. He encouraged students to walk into the counseling center during regular business hours or call 305-284-5511 to access a counselor after-hours, in addition to using WellTrack.

Olivia Ginsberg

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...