Academics, News

Class on intergroup dialogue delivers community, collaboration

Every Wednesday afternoon, a group of students gathers at the Rat. They’re not there to drink—though, sure, some may order snacks.

In a second-story conference room—against the backdrop of muffled music and order calls from the restaurant below—11 students and two professors, Miriam Lipsky and Renee Dickens Callan, meet for a workshop on intergroup dialogue.

Their goal in the debut course, which focuses on race and ethnicity, is not to learn how to win an argument, but how to walk away from a conversation and be able to say, “I understand where you’re coming from,” said Lipsky, assistant provost for institutional culture.

In lieu of lectures and PowerPoints, students complete readings, write weekly journal entries and engage each other in face-to-face conversation on the topic at hand.

“We have touched on a lot of very sensitive subjects,” said sophomore Bersabeh Mesfin, a psychology and human and social development double major. “We do a lot of activities to really understand more about ourselves as individuals—kind of just how to be able to interact with people that have differing opinions but still have a productive dialogue.”

Students had learned—and committed to memory—what dialogue is, and how it differs, especially, from debate.

“My understanding of it is that debate kind of serves to prove your opinion or belief correct, and the other person wrong,” said Nathaniel Maniatis, a freshman majoring in economics and human and social development.

Senior Torrey Crosby, a communication honors major, described dialogue as “more empathetic.”

This was an idea echoed by senior Shaitia Martin, a public health major, who said that she has often avoided debates by enlisting the skills she learned in intergroup dialogue.

“We can sit down and have an extensive conversation and reach common ground because I’ve learned dialogue skills,” she said of talking with family. “So I’ve resolved a lot of almost-conflicts.”

This inaugural group of students differ in their majors—but most found the course by word-of-mouth.

Junior Nathaniel Furman, a physics and electrical engineering major, first became interested in the study of “having difficult conversations” while working as a First-Year Fellow. Nathan Fox, a senior majoring in biochemistry and computer science, said Laura Kohn-Wood, dean of the School of Education and Human Development, told him he’d be “perfect” for the class after seeing him work as a resident assistant.

“We’re running into students all the time that are interested in talking about race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, and so they’re looking for additional opportunities to do that in the class,” said Callan, director of Multicultural Student Affairs.

An entirely new batch of students will get to experience that unique format in the spring—Lipsky said the class, which requires instructor’s permission to enroll, is “almost full” already. It will take place in Dooley Memorial Building, in a room that’s been renovated with a Harkness table, an oval-shape table that puts students and professors face-to-face with one another.

Future plans for the intergroup dialogue course include workshops on sexuality and gender, as well as, potentially, one on interfaith dialogue.

Students who are wrapping up their first brush with intergroup dialogue say the model has worked well.

Senior Akshata Gunda, a chemistry major, noted the camaraderie and inside-jokes among the students.

“That doesn’t happen in a normal class,” she said.

“It goes by so fast,” said freshman Michelle Prestigiacomo, a psychology and elementary education major, of class.

Maniatis agreed, crediting his professors with laying the foundation for a positive group dynamic.

“We are all teachers and learners in this classroom,” Maniatis said. “That is just something that I think, from the get-go, really established that Dr. Lipsky and Dr. Callan are not here to tell us what to do, or what to think, or what is right, or what is wrong, or how to go about this—but rather to just kind of guide us, and give us a path, but not tell us which side to walk on.”

Grace Wehniainen

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...