Campus Life, Community, News

Canes ‘ADVENTURE’ back to campus

Day 1: Homecoming King and Queen Pageant

_DSC0255.jpg

Homecoming King contestant Agustin Pedro Rodriguez Granda performs his choreographed skit as part of the King and Queen Pageant that took place in the SAC ballroom Monday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0120.jpg

Senior Homecoming queen contestant Jess Hamorsky acts for her performance segment which was based on the theme of "Once Upon a Time". Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0172.jpg

Katerina Quintairos sings as part of her talent segment during the King and Queen pageant Monday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0340.jpg

Senior Allison Cawthon performs the song "Drops of Jupiter" for the talent segment at the pageant Monday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Day Two: Organized Cheer (O’Cheer)

_DSC0785.jpg

Sebastian the Ibis poses with a group of students before they hit the stage and perform in the O'Cheer competition Tuesday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0882-2.jpg

Members of dance team "KAOS" take to the stage on the UC Patio Tuesday night to perform their choreographed dance as part of Homecoming's "Organized Cheer" competition, Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0799-2.jpg

Hundreds of students attended O'Cheer to support their organizations during the competition at the UC Patio. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC0912.jpg

Spectrum, the University of Miami LGBTQ organization, took part in the O'Cheer competition Tuesday night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC1049.jpg

Students part of the Greek organizations Alpha Sigma Phi, Chi Omega, and Lamda Chi Alpha participate in O'Cheer Tuesday evening. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Day Three: Halloween and Spirit Day

P1080887.JPG

Sebastian the Ibis takes part in an archery activity on Wednesday afternoon as many games and free food were offered to students and faculty as they celebrated Homecoming week. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

_DSC1067.jpg

A faculty member dressed as "Boba Fett" from the Star Wars films Wednesday afternoon. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC1096-2.jpg

Professor Ethan Talmadge dressed up in haunting fashion Wednesday afternoon as he stands beside the U statue at The Rock. Prof. Talmadge has taught students all over the world, in countries that include Italy, Japan, Spain, Thailand and Brazil. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Cameron Tavakoly.JPG

Freshman and staff photographer Cameron Tavakoly dresses up in the Spider-Man costume from the 2002 film. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

Day Four: Homecoming Concert featuring Zedd and Chris Wright

_DSC1496-2.jpg

Current University of Miami student Chris Wright opens the Homecoming Concert with his DJ set Thursday night at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC1864-2.jpg

Superstar DJ "Zedd" performs at the Homecoming Concert for UM students at the Watsco Center Thursday night. Zedd is currently one of the top paid DJ's in the world, with hit songs on the radio such as "The Middle" and "Stay." Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Day Five: Hurricane Howl

_DSC2220.jpg

The Homecoming stage was finished being assembled Friday afternoon in anticipation for the parade that would begin at 6:00PM that night. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

P1090059.JPG

The Association of Commuter Students posed for a photo before they walked the parade Friday night. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

P1090148.JPG

Homecoming King Bobby Shore and Queen Kristine Reynardus stand on top of a float during the parade Friday night. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

P1090303.JPG

Homecoming Prince Abdiel Caballero and Princess Katerina Quintairos wave at the parade goers Friday night. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

P1090307.JPG

Thousands of people gathered around the UC patio before the fireworks Friday night as a band played before and after the show. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

_DSC2233.JPG

The sound and lighting technicians of the show make their final checks before the fireworks began. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

P1090354.jpg

The University of Miami's annual "Boat Burning" tradition kicked off the fireworks show for Homecoming's Hurricane Howl Friday night that took place on campus. The boat burning is a tradition that is supposed to symbolize whether the Hurricane's will defeat their opponents the following day if the boat sinks into Lake Osceola by the end of the ceremony. Photo credit: Cameron Tavakoly

_DSC2406-2.jpg

Fireworks sounded off at 8:30 Friday night as thousands of students, faculty, and alumni gathered around Lake Osceola to watch the show. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC2636-2.jpg

Two firework technicians stand behind a protected wall as they released fireworks from Lake Osceola as thousands of students and alumni surrounded the lake to watch the show. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

_DSC2753-2.jpg

After the fireworks ended, the University of Miami's colors, green and orange, illuminated the smoke in the sky in front of the Student Shalala Center. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Day 6: Hurricanes vs Duke @ The Hard Rock Stadium

DSC_3271.jpg

Former Canes baseball standout Jeb Bargfeldt proposes to now financée and former Hurricanes cheer leader Juliana Richard in the rain before the Hurricanes' game against Duke. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

DSC_3352.jpg

Quarterback N'Kosi Perry (5) hands the ball off to another Hurricane in a play against Duke Saturday night. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

DSC_3780.jpg

The Hurricanes players collide with the Duke defense in the rain Saturday night. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

DSC_3830.jpg

Sophomore running back DeeJay Dallas fumbles the football against Duke Nov. 3 at Hard Rock Stadium. Dallas turned the ball over twice in the contest in the Hurricanes’ 20-12 loss against the Blue Devils. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

IMG_2889.jpg

Senior defensive back Jaquan Johnson (4) stands on the bench with the Turnover Chain Saturday night after forcing a turnover in the game against Duke. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...