Edge, Music

WVUM’s Playlist of the Week

Welcome to the sixth edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, a compilation of the week’s top tunes according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

Mr. Twin Sister – “Alien FM” from Salt (Twin Group)

a0786897597_10.jpg

After four years of studio work, Mr. Twin Sister have honed their unique blend of jazz, dance and alternative music to deliver a sultry jazz project with ample sax licks that’s cooler than sipping a dry ice martini.

Boygenius – “Me & My Dog” from Boygenius (Matador)

boygenius-art-1534516232-640x640.jpg

Indie rock prayers have been answered with this super group of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus. Relatable, hearty lyrics make this EP very timely and empowering.

Crooked Man – “Take It All Away” from Crooked House (DFA)

a2837027525_10.jpg

Soulful and psychedelic house music returns with Crooked Man. Imagine some of the most beautiful dance music you’ve ever heard.

Father – “Only You” from Awful Swim (Awful/RCA)

1537559377_4dcb965c5a1cfe4080d342b80b26f6b1.jpg

Straight out of Atlanta, rapper/producer/artist Father releases a mixtape as part of a collaboration with Adult Swim. The rapper uses his subversive sense of humor to strong production to create a fun, “mischievous” project.

Viagra Boys – “Sports” from Street Worms (YEAR0001)

116082-sports.jpg

Viagra Boys share many similarities with Butthole Surfers during their ‘80s hey-day, and not just in colorful band name. A thoroughly deep-fried, vaguely psychedelic blues riff serves as the backdrop for a silly spiel about indulging in substances while watching sports.

Ian Sweet – “Spit” from Crush Crusher (Hardly Art)

a3032047627_10.jpg

Crushes are always hard to break, which is why Ian Sweet reminds us to not get “swallowed by someone else’s spit” (i.e. reach first base). This track is true-blue contemporary indie, taking assertive elements from early ‘90s riot grrrl bands and softening them up a bit to relate to sensitive hearts.

Thom Yorke – “Has Ended” from Suspiria (Music For The Luca Guadagnino Film) (XL)

suspiria-album-cover-1200x1200.jpg

The frontman of Radiohead reimagines the 1977 Dario Argento horror classic in 2 disks consisting of instrumental score work and ballads.

Olivia Nelson – “Never Too Late” from For You (Hear This)

2a215bead8e430dbfa7ca8798ac62bd6.1000x1000x1.png

Story-telling sounds so natural with 22-year-old British, R&B singer. The debut collection is an outlet for emotion and “Never Too Late” levels up in empowerment.

Julia Holter – “I Shall Love 2” from Aviary (Domino)

julia-holter-aviary-1536159605-640x640.jpg

It’s no coincidence that this gorgeous song comes from an album called “Aviary.” Hearing this song is like stepping into a lush aviary with the orchestral flourishes mimicking dozens of bird songs and Julia’s voice serving as your guide.

Miserable – “Gasoline” from Loverboy/Dog Days (Sargent House)

a1419822209_10.jpg

Halloween isn’t complete without some good old fashioned goth music. Miserable has the right combination of name, melodrama, and post-punk drive to make for the perfect Halloween listen.

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings on Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...