Edge, Music

WVUM’s Playlist of the Week

Welcome to the sixth edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, a compilation of the week’s top tunes according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

Mr. Twin Sister – “Alien FM” from Salt (Twin Group)

a0786897597_10.jpg

After four years of studio work, Mr. Twin Sister have honed their unique blend of jazz, dance and alternative music to deliver a sultry jazz project with ample sax licks that’s cooler than sipping a dry ice martini.

Boygenius – “Me & My Dog” from Boygenius (Matador)

boygenius-art-1534516232-640x640.jpg

Indie rock prayers have been answered with this super group of Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus. Relatable, hearty lyrics make this EP very timely and empowering.

Crooked Man – “Take It All Away” from Crooked House (DFA)

a2837027525_10.jpg

Soulful and psychedelic house music returns with Crooked Man. Imagine some of the most beautiful dance music you’ve ever heard.

Father – “Only You” from Awful Swim (Awful/RCA)

1537559377_4dcb965c5a1cfe4080d342b80b26f6b1.jpg

Straight out of Atlanta, rapper/producer/artist Father releases a mixtape as part of a collaboration with Adult Swim. The rapper uses his subversive sense of humor to strong production to create a fun, “mischievous” project.

Viagra Boys – “Sports” from Street Worms (YEAR0001)

116082-sports.jpg

Viagra Boys share many similarities with Butthole Surfers during their ‘80s hey-day, and not just in colorful band name. A thoroughly deep-fried, vaguely psychedelic blues riff serves as the backdrop for a silly spiel about indulging in substances while watching sports.

Ian Sweet – “Spit” from Crush Crusher (Hardly Art)

a3032047627_10.jpg

Crushes are always hard to break, which is why Ian Sweet reminds us to not get “swallowed by someone else’s spit” (i.e. reach first base). This track is true-blue contemporary indie, taking assertive elements from early ‘90s riot grrrl bands and softening them up a bit to relate to sensitive hearts.

Thom Yorke – “Has Ended” from Suspiria (Music For The Luca Guadagnino Film) (XL)

suspiria-album-cover-1200x1200.jpg

The frontman of Radiohead reimagines the 1977 Dario Argento horror classic in 2 disks consisting of instrumental score work and ballads.

Olivia Nelson – “Never Too Late” from For You (Hear This)

2a215bead8e430dbfa7ca8798ac62bd6.1000x1000x1.png

Story-telling sounds so natural with 22-year-old British, R&B singer. The debut collection is an outlet for emotion and “Never Too Late” levels up in empowerment.

Julia Holter – “I Shall Love 2” from Aviary (Domino)

julia-holter-aviary-1536159605-640x640.jpg

It’s no coincidence that this gorgeous song comes from an album called “Aviary.” Hearing this song is like stepping into a lush aviary with the orchestral flourishes mimicking dozens of bird songs and Julia’s voice serving as your guide.

Miserable – “Gasoline” from Loverboy/Dog Days (Sargent House)

a1419822209_10.jpg

Halloween isn’t complete without some good old fashioned goth music. Miserable has the right combination of name, melodrama, and post-punk drive to make for the perfect Halloween listen.

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings on Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...