Edge, Music

WVUM’s Playlist of the Week

Welcome to the fifth edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, featuring the ten hottest tracks of the past week according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

Kero Kero Bonito – “Time Today” from Time ‘n’ Place (Polyvinyl)

Every bubble must pop eventually, and indie’s most saccharine bubblegum group, Kero Kero Bonito, is no exception. The lead single from their highly anticipated sophomore album is a breezy delight about the malaise of having too much time on your hands to do absolutely nothing.

648f4baa45889f9c5f4f7add35862841_9b5ecc661ae34dcea7c74a9a8fde7ec9326dd1d7_medium.jpg

Geotic – “Swiss Bicycle” from Traversa (Ghostly)

A spry piece of electronic goodness that will put a pep in your step and a positive spin on your whole day.

a2722183182_10.jpg

DeMille – “Go!” from Go! (Independent)

New York-based pop quartet DeMille make their full-length debut with smooth vocals and razor-sharp funk riffs.

44794773_2274904945917097_7738799862094757888_n (1).jpg

Kurt Vile – “Rollin With The Flow” from Bottle it In (Matador)

Kurt Vile has been a college and community favorite for years, and that love affair shows no signs of abatement now that his new album, “Bottle It Up,” has been released.

51ntRirNCXL._SS500.jpg

Four Fists – “Fjortis” from 6666 (Doomtree)

A long time in the works, Minneapolis benchmarks P.O.S and Astronautalis have come together as Four Fists and released “6666” via Doomtree.

dba796-20181010-four-fists-6666.jpg

Parcels – “Lightenup” from Parcels (Kitsune/Caroline)

Australia-born, but Berlin-based funk band who has worked with Daft Punk, proves that disco can never die.

Parcels-album-cover-1536272424-640x640.jpg

Curses – “Gold & Silber (feat. Perel)” from Romantic Fiction (Dischi Autunno)

Eerie synths, sultry vocals, and a thick industrial beat make for an excellent callback to the bohemian scenes in New York and Germany during the early-80s. Equally sexy and spooky, this is perfect music for getting into the Halloween spirit.

Capture.JPG

Bicicletas Por La Paz – “Tengo Una Bici y la Quiero Montar” from Surfeando Un Cometa (Self-Released)

Bicicletas Por La Paz has a simple but powerful message: cycling can bring about world peace. The lead track from their new album is a positive Latin groove with a tight horn section and a bevy of voices imploring you to get on your bike and feel the joy of riding for the sake of riding.

Capture.JPG

How to Dress Well – “Body Fat” from The Anteroom (Domino)

In an oversaturated scene of alternative R&B ranging from neo-soul ensembles to crossover hip-hop artists, “How to Dress Well” stands out with his commitment to a bold, electronic R&B sound. His latest song balances the iciness of arty electronics with the warmth of a vulnerable human voice.

51CfHq5JyjL._SS500.jpg

Cloud Nothings- “Another Way of Life” from Last Building Burning (Carpark)

Indie-rock band from Ohio puts out head-smashing and chaotic album to follow up as one of the most prominent bands still putting out fresh riffs.

a0146488465_10.jpg

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings on Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...