Art, Edge

Weekend of art, activism coming to Miami

On Thursday, Nov. 1, the Creative Time Summit is coming to Miami for the very first time, bringing with it a weekend full interesting art, activism, and discussion surrounding the intersection of art and activism.

Co-presented by the nonprofit Creative Time and the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, the Summit brings together artists and activists to speak on today’s most pressing issues through a critical range of perspectives, just as it has in cities around the globe for the past nine years.

This year’s theme is “On Archipelagos and Other Imaginaries—Collective Strategies to Inhabit the World,” and will explore issues including “immigration and borders to climate realities, notions of intersectional justice, gentrification, tourism as an enabler for neocolonialism, and the roles art and activism can play in all these pressing issues,” according to the Summit’s website. With such a wide variety of topics, guests are sure to find something that sparks their interests and gets theirs creative thoughts flowing.

Craeticetime3.jpg

A physical education workshop—hosted by artist Hope Ginsburg—at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Images by Christos Katsiaouni, courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit will be broken up into four thematic sections—”Facing climate realities, reimagining a green future,” “Toward an intersectional justice,” “Resisting displacement and violence,” and “On boundaries and a borderless future”—each explored through breakout sessions, panels, interactive performances and more.

CreativeTime.jpg

Gabriel Willoughby presenting “The 8 Different Types Of N-Word” at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit opens Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Perez Art Museum, with a drag party from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and concludes on Saturday, Nov. 3. Other points of interest this year include a nature walk through Florida’s forests and screenings of independent films at Soundscape Park. Click here for a full schedule of events.

Passes are available still available for sale at www.eventbrite.com, starting at $25.

If You Go:

What: Creative Time Summit

When: Nov. 1-3

Where: Pérez Art Museum Miami, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Soundscape Park, and various smaller venues around the Miami area

Price: Tickets starting at $25 at www.eventbrite.com

Kayla Foster

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the changes in Miami, and what the future could bring to nei ...

The history of the Caribbean city will be examined during a two-day symposium this week featuring ar ...

Katie Meier has sent more than a few of her assistant coaches on to direct their own programs. And W ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...

Senior linebacker Michael Pinckney and redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams were among thos ...

Miami's junior class accounted for almost half (41) of the Canes' 83 points in their victo ...