Art, Edge

Weekend of art, activism coming to Miami

On Thursday, Nov. 1, the Creative Time Summit is coming to Miami for the very first time, bringing with it a weekend full interesting art, activism, and discussion surrounding the intersection of art and activism.

Co-presented by the nonprofit Creative Time and the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, the Summit brings together artists and activists to speak on today’s most pressing issues through a critical range of perspectives, just as it has in cities around the globe for the past nine years.

This year’s theme is “On Archipelagos and Other Imaginaries—Collective Strategies to Inhabit the World,” and will explore issues including “immigration and borders to climate realities, notions of intersectional justice, gentrification, tourism as an enabler for neocolonialism, and the roles art and activism can play in all these pressing issues,” according to the Summit’s website. With such a wide variety of topics, guests are sure to find something that sparks their interests and gets theirs creative thoughts flowing.

Craeticetime3.jpg

A physical education workshop—hosted by artist Hope Ginsburg—at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Images by Christos Katsiaouni, courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit will be broken up into four thematic sections—”Facing climate realities, reimagining a green future,” “Toward an intersectional justice,” “Resisting displacement and violence,” and “On boundaries and a borderless future”—each explored through breakout sessions, panels, interactive performances and more.

CreativeTime.jpg

Gabriel Willoughby presenting “The 8 Different Types Of N-Word” at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit opens Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Perez Art Museum, with a drag party from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and concludes on Saturday, Nov. 3. Other points of interest this year include a nature walk through Florida’s forests and screenings of independent films at Soundscape Park. Click here for a full schedule of events.

Passes are available still available for sale at www.eventbrite.com, starting at $25.

If You Go:

What: Creative Time Summit

When: Nov. 1-3

Where: Pérez Art Museum Miami, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Soundscape Park, and various smaller venues around the Miami area

Price: Tickets starting at $25 at www.eventbrite.com

Kayla Foster

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...