Art, Edge

Weekend of art, activism coming to Miami

On Thursday, Nov. 1, the Creative Time Summit is coming to Miami for the very first time, bringing with it a weekend full interesting art, activism, and discussion surrounding the intersection of art and activism.

Co-presented by the nonprofit Creative Time and the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, the Summit brings together artists and activists to speak on today’s most pressing issues through a critical range of perspectives, just as it has in cities around the globe for the past nine years.

This year’s theme is “On Archipelagos and Other Imaginaries—Collective Strategies to Inhabit the World,” and will explore issues including “immigration and borders to climate realities, notions of intersectional justice, gentrification, tourism as an enabler for neocolonialism, and the roles art and activism can play in all these pressing issues,” according to the Summit’s website. With such a wide variety of topics, guests are sure to find something that sparks their interests and gets theirs creative thoughts flowing.

Craeticetime3.jpg

A physical education workshop—hosted by artist Hope Ginsburg—at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Images by Christos Katsiaouni, courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit will be broken up into four thematic sections—”Facing climate realities, reimagining a green future,” “Toward an intersectional justice,” “Resisting displacement and violence,” and “On boundaries and a borderless future”—each explored through breakout sessions, panels, interactive performances and more.

CreativeTime.jpg

Gabriel Willoughby presenting “The 8 Different Types Of N-Word” at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit opens Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Perez Art Museum, with a drag party from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and concludes on Saturday, Nov. 3. Other points of interest this year include a nature walk through Florida’s forests and screenings of independent films at Soundscape Park. Click here for a full schedule of events.

Passes are available still available for sale at www.eventbrite.com, starting at $25.

If You Go:

What: Creative Time Summit

When: Nov. 1-3

Where: Pérez Art Museum Miami, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Soundscape Park, and various smaller venues around the Miami area

Price: Tickets starting at $25 at www.eventbrite.com

Kayla Foster

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...