Art, Edge

Weekend of art, activism coming to Miami

On Thursday, Nov. 1, the Creative Time Summit is coming to Miami for the very first time, bringing with it a weekend full interesting art, activism, and discussion surrounding the intersection of art and activism.

Co-presented by the nonprofit Creative Time and the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, the Summit brings together artists and activists to speak on today’s most pressing issues through a critical range of perspectives, just as it has in cities around the globe for the past nine years.

This year’s theme is “On Archipelagos and Other Imaginaries—Collective Strategies to Inhabit the World,” and will explore issues including “immigration and borders to climate realities, notions of intersectional justice, gentrification, tourism as an enabler for neocolonialism, and the roles art and activism can play in all these pressing issues,” according to the Summit’s website. With such a wide variety of topics, guests are sure to find something that sparks their interests and gets theirs creative thoughts flowing.

Craeticetime3.jpg

A physical education workshop—hosted by artist Hope Ginsburg—at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Images by Christos Katsiaouni, courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit will be broken up into four thematic sections—”Facing climate realities, reimagining a green future,” “Toward an intersectional justice,” “Resisting displacement and violence,” and “On boundaries and a borderless future”—each explored through breakout sessions, panels, interactive performances and more.

CreativeTime.jpg

Gabriel Willoughby presenting “The 8 Different Types Of N-Word” at the 2015 Creative Time Summit, held in New York. Photo credit: Courtesy of Creative Time

The Summit opens Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Perez Art Museum, with a drag party from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and concludes on Saturday, Nov. 3. Other points of interest this year include a nature walk through Florida’s forests and screenings of independent films at Soundscape Park. Click here for a full schedule of events.

Passes are available still available for sale at www.eventbrite.com, starting at $25.

If You Go:

What: Creative Time Summit

When: Nov. 1-3

Where: Pérez Art Museum Miami, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Soundscape Park, and various smaller venues around the Miami area

Price: Tickets starting at $25 at www.eventbrite.com

Kayla Foster

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...