Community, Environment, News

UMAB offers students another fall break option

Image.png

UM students throws up the “U” after a long day of planting vegetables with Cultivate Abundance in Immokalee, FL. Photo credit: Ellen Burnette

Imagine this. You wake up from a long night’s rest on a blue cot. With your legs hanging off the sides, you can hear your neighbor slowly waking up next to you. You walk down a long, dark hallway and pass several bright orange doors. It is time to wake up, it is a new day. But this is not Miami.

You are 117 miles away from home. You go outside and all you see is an open field, chickens and lots of huge white, red and black roosters.

This was the reality of 50 UM students, all from different majors and disciplines, who participated in the University of Miami Alternative Breaks program. They ventured to the Florida Keys, Clearwater and many others cities across Florida for one goal: service.

Whether by providing hot meals to migrant workers in Immokalee or building homes in Vero Beach, students worked to make a difference over the four-day service excursions.

Image-4.png

UMAB participants Valeria (Val) Londono, Emma Lunking, Abigail Adeleke, Samantha Fagan and Lutifiah Hammad relax after a hard day of working in the Cultivate Abundance’s garden. Image credit: Ellen Burnette

Sophomore Michael Garcia said that he had the opportunity to volunteer in Immokalee with Cultivate Abundance, which is an organization that helps migrant workers with food insecurity.

“I had a great experience,” Garcia said. “It was great learning about migrant workers in Immokalee and helping them with their community garden. It was interesting to learn about the problems they face and to help them with their needs.”

Garcia, a biomedical engineer major, said that he has been on two trips so far, but venturing to Immokalee made a significant impact on him due to the trip’s focus on immigration.

“There is a problem with our immigration system and it was really sad to see how the immigrants are being treated,” said Garcia. “And it is something that is being worked on.”

Image-1.png

Miniature gardens that include lettuce and mustard sit in rows, ready to be picked up by people in the Immokalee community. Photo credit: Ellen Burnette

With months of planning and extensive research, the UMAB executive board reaches out to nonprofits and organizations across the United States for service trips in order to push students out of their comfort zone.

Senior Neha Aitharaju, who was fundamental in the implementation of the fall break service trips, said UMAB gives students the opportunity to make an impact in Florida and across the country.

A neuroscience major and UMAB co-chair, Aitharaju has been on two trips with the organization, and believes her experiences have changed her outlook on social and cultural challenges in the United States.

“There are certain issues that we can address but there are certain issues that we want students to be involved in,” said Aitharaju. “It is a life changing experience [because]you are affecting so many different populations.”

The Miami native said that UMAB is planning service trips for the spring, and if students want to get involved they can visit umalternativebreaks.wixsite.com/umab for more updates.

Tre'Vaughn Howard

Abigail Adeleke

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...