Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports, Tennis, Volleyball

UM remains unbeaten against FSU in fall competitions

Volleyball

The Miami Hurricanes came from behind and defeated the Florida State Seminoles, 3-2, Wednesday, Oct. 24 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

The Hurricanes handed the Seminoles their second Atlantic Coast Conference loss of the season, 30-28, 23-25, 22-25, 25-18, 19-17.

“It’s awesome to get this win because you can’t downplay the rivalry Miami and Florida State has,” coach Jose “Keno” Gandara said.

Miami trailed 12-8 in the fifth set but rattled off four straight points to level the match. Moments later, Elizaveta Lukianova capped off the match with her sixth kill of the set to win 19-17.

“To see this young group manage that 12-8 deficit in the fifth set and to have the composure to finish the match was very rewarding to see as a coach,” Gandara said.

Lukianova led Miami with a career-high 24 kills. Redshirt senior Haley Templeton recorded a double-double with 57 assists and 12 digs.

“What you can’t see from the stands is the work Haley put in to follow tonight’s game plan,” Gandara said. “We know the type of setter she is and how she’s able to set her hitters up was great to see from her tonight.”

The Hurricanes added to their win streak with a 3-0 shutout victory over the Virginia Tech Hokies Friday, Oct. 26.

With the victory, UM extended its win streak to three games and six players recorded at least one kill in the 25-13, 25-14, 25-16 win.

Miami notched a season-best .467 attack percentage. Kolby Bird and Lukianova chipped in 10 kills apiece.

The Hurricanes (13-6, 9-3 ACC) on the road to face the Louisville Cardinals 7 p.m. Nov. 2 at Cardinal Arena.

Soccer

Miami upset No. 9 Florida State, 1-0, in extra time Thursday, Oct. 25 at Cobb Stadium.

On the Hurricanes’ senior night, it was a freshman who stole the show.

Rookie forward Mallory Olsson scored the game-winning goal in the 97th minute sparking a jubilant celebration capped off with a dogpile.

DSC_6081.jpg

The Hurricanes dogpile after Mallory Olsson scored a game-winning goal in the 97th minute against the Florida State Seminoles. Miami's 1-0 victory over No. 9-ranked Florida State highlighted its first season under coach Sarah Barnes. Photo credit: Josh White

“We have grown leaps and bounds,” coach Sarah Barnes said. “Certainly, from March when we came in, but in particular within ACC play, we’re significantly better than we were. The work they’ve put in, the effort they’ve put in, the attention to detail and focus we’ve asked of them has improved. There have been times when we made small mistakes, we were able to put them together. I’m really proud of them.”

On the defensive end, goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce recorded seven saves, including denying away a header with only 10 seconds remaining in the match. The fifth-year senior cemented herself in third place all-time in program history with 258 career stops.

“Just the family I’ve had with these girls,” Tullis-Joyce said about what she’s going to take away most from playing soccer at UM. “Not much has gone our way, knowing we just had each other’s backs means that much more.”

In Barnes’ first season, the Hurricanes ended the year with a 6-9-3 overall record and went 3-6-1 in conference play.

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes secured three singles titles at the Marliss Gruver Invitational in Auburn, Alabama.

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba defeated Kansas’ Malkia Ngounoue, 7-5, 6-2 to claim the Flight No. 1 crown, winning her third trophy in as many fall contests.

Sophomore Ulyana Shirokova won the Flight No. 3 beating Arkansas’ Thea Rice, 7-5, 7-5. Junior Yuna Ito defeated teammate Ana Madcur, 6-0, 6-4, to grab Flight No. 4 title.

Cross Country

Dylan Sykes continued his standout sophomore season with a time of 26:13.8 to lead the Hurricanes in the ACC Championships at Franklin Park. It was Sykes second-best finish off the season.

Junior Matthew Wiefels registered his second-best performance of the fall with a 27:23 in the 8K.

Veteran Anne den Otter was Miami’s first runner to cross the finish in the women’s team first 6K of the year. den Otter came in with a time of 22:53.

UM will travel to Tallahassee, Florida Nov. 9 to race at the NCAA Regional Championships.

Maxwell Trink

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...