Community, News, Politics

UM offers shuttles to early voting locations

The 2018 elections are coming up, and the University of Miami is making it easier for students to go out and vote.

UM will have early voting shuttles to the Coral Gables Public Library from Oct. 29 to Nov. 2. The buses will run every half an hour from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and depart from Stanford Circle from Oct. 29 to Nov. 1 and Mahoney-Pearson Residential Colleges on Nov. 2.

Senior Andrea Wright said that early voting is a great opportunity for students to vote at a time that’s convenient for them.

“The main barrier to voting for a lot of students is the inconvenience of it,” said Wright. “Students have classes and other commitments, and there can be long lines on Election Day.”

The shuttles are provided by Student Government, William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service & Leadership Development, UM Parking and Transportation and University of Miami Division of Student Affairs.

Andrew Wiemer, the director of programs at the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, said the University of Miami has been shuttling students to early voting locations since 2004. Students requested the service with support from Get Out the Vote, a campaign meant to increase voter turnout.

Freshman Alec Chao said he cannot think of anything that will facilitate youth turnout better than this.

“Given that people under the age of 30 are the least likely demographic to vote, the fact that the university is willing to assist members of that core demographic in being able to vote is commendable,” said Chao.

Freshman Amir Mahmoud described the importance of voting for him and his family.

“In Egypt, where my family is from, people have no means to voice their opinion and influence the government, so it is especially important for me to exercise my right to vote for all of my cousins and family members who can’t,” he said.

For more information about shuttle times and pick-up locations, visit http://www.pt.fop.miami.edu/other-services/news-and-updates/index.html.

Jaime Harn

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...