Community, News, Politics

UM offers shuttles to early voting locations

The 2018 elections are coming up, and the University of Miami is making it easier for students to go out and vote.

UM will have early voting shuttles to the Coral Gables Public Library from Oct. 29 to Nov. 2. The buses will run every half an hour from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and depart from Stanford Circle from Oct. 29 to Nov. 1 and Mahoney-Pearson Residential Colleges on Nov. 2.

Senior Andrea Wright said that early voting is a great opportunity for students to vote at a time that’s convenient for them.

“The main barrier to voting for a lot of students is the inconvenience of it,” said Wright. “Students have classes and other commitments, and there can be long lines on Election Day.”

The shuttles are provided by Student Government, William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service & Leadership Development, UM Parking and Transportation and University of Miami Division of Student Affairs.

Andrew Wiemer, the director of programs at the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, said the University of Miami has been shuttling students to early voting locations since 2004. Students requested the service with support from Get Out the Vote, a campaign meant to increase voter turnout.

Freshman Alec Chao said he cannot think of anything that will facilitate youth turnout better than this.

“Given that people under the age of 30 are the least likely demographic to vote, the fact that the university is willing to assist members of that core demographic in being able to vote is commendable,” said Chao.

Freshman Amir Mahmoud described the importance of voting for him and his family.

“In Egypt, where my family is from, people have no means to voice their opinion and influence the government, so it is especially important for me to exercise my right to vote for all of my cousins and family members who can’t,” he said.

For more information about shuttle times and pick-up locations, visit http://www.pt.fop.miami.edu/other-services/news-and-updates/index.html.

Jaime Harn

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...