Community, News, Politics

UM offers shuttles to early voting locations

The 2018 elections are coming up, and the University of Miami is making it easier for students to go out and vote.

UM will have early voting shuttles to the Coral Gables Public Library from Oct. 29 to Nov. 2. The buses will run every half an hour from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and depart from Stanford Circle from Oct. 29 to Nov. 1 and Mahoney-Pearson Residential Colleges on Nov. 2.

Senior Andrea Wright said that early voting is a great opportunity for students to vote at a time that’s convenient for them.

“The main barrier to voting for a lot of students is the inconvenience of it,” said Wright. “Students have classes and other commitments, and there can be long lines on Election Day.”

The shuttles are provided by Student Government, William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service & Leadership Development, UM Parking and Transportation and University of Miami Division of Student Affairs.

Andrew Wiemer, the director of programs at the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, said the University of Miami has been shuttling students to early voting locations since 2004. Students requested the service with support from Get Out the Vote, a campaign meant to increase voter turnout.

Freshman Alec Chao said he cannot think of anything that will facilitate youth turnout better than this.

“Given that people under the age of 30 are the least likely demographic to vote, the fact that the university is willing to assist members of that core demographic in being able to vote is commendable,” said Chao.

Freshman Amir Mahmoud described the importance of voting for him and his family.

“In Egypt, where my family is from, people have no means to voice their opinion and influence the government, so it is especially important for me to exercise my right to vote for all of my cousins and family members who can’t,” he said.

For more information about shuttle times and pick-up locations, visit http://www.pt.fop.miami.edu/other-services/news-and-updates/index.html.

Jaime Harn

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...