Edge, Movies, Reviews

Tyler Perry promotes new movie in Miami, talks inspiration and implications

Actor, filmmaker, playwright and comedian Tyler Perry was in Miami last week promoting his new movie “Nobody’s Fool”, his latest project following the success of “Acrimony,” both of which the unbelievably talented mogul wrote, directed, and produced.

With a star-studded cast and a hilariously gripping storyline, it’s no surprise that Perry’s “Nobody’s Fool” had the entire audience falling out of their chairs.

The films follow sisters Tanya—played by Tiffany Haddish—and Danica—played by Tika Sumpter—as they try to ensure a smooth start to a fresh chapter in their lives. When Tanya is released from prison, she moves in with seemingly picture-perfect Danica, only to be thrown into a strange situation after she finds out that Danica is in a relationship with a mysterious man who she’s never met. The sisters, being polar opposites, collide over their contrasting approaches to the odd situation. As Tanya tries to get back on her feet after her time in prison and Danica tries to keep her love life from completely falling apart, a series of bizarre events unfolds, making for a belly-achingly hilarious watching experience.

The film also features stellar performances from Omari Hardwick and Whoopi Goldberg.

“I thought, okay let’s tell a story around catfish because it’s an MTV inspired comedy, which started it all,” Perry explained when he sat down with the Hurricane.

“As I was writing it, I was having so much fun writing the different twists and turns – because I was actually writing it for Tiffany – and all that other stuff came together. It’s just really wonderful.”

Though hilarious, the movie definitely touched on some sensitive topics, starting an important dialogue.

For example, Tanya and Danica perfectly represent almost polar opposite depictions of what the “black woman persona” is supposed to be. ­This inevitably created the potential for them to clash, but it was interesting to see the extent to which it affected their dynamic.

Tyler Perry shed light on the importance of showing this diversity on the big screen.

“It’s really great because it shows two dynamics of a very complicated, very complex palette of the beauty of black women, right? So everybody is represented at some point in this film somewhere, so it was really, really wonderful,” he said.

“Nobody’s Fool” hits theaters Nov. 2.

Kiki Aderoju

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...