Edge, Movies, Reviews

Tyler Perry promotes new movie in Miami, talks inspiration and implications

Actor, filmmaker, playwright and comedian Tyler Perry was in Miami last week promoting his new movie “Nobody’s Fool”, his latest project following the success of “Acrimony,” both of which the unbelievably talented mogul wrote, directed, and produced.

With a star-studded cast and a hilariously gripping storyline, it’s no surprise that Perry’s “Nobody’s Fool” had the entire audience falling out of their chairs.

The films follow sisters Tanya—played by Tiffany Haddish—and Danica—played by Tika Sumpter—as they try to ensure a smooth start to a fresh chapter in their lives. When Tanya is released from prison, she moves in with seemingly picture-perfect Danica, only to be thrown into a strange situation after she finds out that Danica is in a relationship with a mysterious man who she’s never met. The sisters, being polar opposites, collide over their contrasting approaches to the odd situation. As Tanya tries to get back on her feet after her time in prison and Danica tries to keep her love life from completely falling apart, a series of bizarre events unfolds, making for a belly-achingly hilarious watching experience.

The film also features stellar performances from Omari Hardwick and Whoopi Goldberg.

“I thought, okay let’s tell a story around catfish because it’s an MTV inspired comedy, which started it all,” Perry explained when he sat down with the Hurricane.

“As I was writing it, I was having so much fun writing the different twists and turns – because I was actually writing it for Tiffany – and all that other stuff came together. It’s just really wonderful.”

Though hilarious, the movie definitely touched on some sensitive topics, starting an important dialogue.

For example, Tanya and Danica perfectly represent almost polar opposite depictions of what the “black woman persona” is supposed to be. ­This inevitably created the potential for them to clash, but it was interesting to see the extent to which it affected their dynamic.

Tyler Perry shed light on the importance of showing this diversity on the big screen.

“It’s really great because it shows two dynamics of a very complicated, very complex palette of the beauty of black women, right? So everybody is represented at some point in this film somewhere, so it was really, really wonderful,” he said.

“Nobody’s Fool” hits theaters Nov. 2.

Kiki Aderoju

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...