Edge, Movies, Reviews

Tyler Perry promotes new movie in Miami, talks inspiration and implications

Actor, filmmaker, playwright and comedian Tyler Perry was in Miami last week promoting his new movie “Nobody’s Fool”, his latest project following the success of “Acrimony,” both of which the unbelievably talented mogul wrote, directed, and produced.

With a star-studded cast and a hilariously gripping storyline, it’s no surprise that Perry’s “Nobody’s Fool” had the entire audience falling out of their chairs.

The films follow sisters Tanya—played by Tiffany Haddish—and Danica—played by Tika Sumpter—as they try to ensure a smooth start to a fresh chapter in their lives. When Tanya is released from prison, she moves in with seemingly picture-perfect Danica, only to be thrown into a strange situation after she finds out that Danica is in a relationship with a mysterious man who she’s never met. The sisters, being polar opposites, collide over their contrasting approaches to the odd situation. As Tanya tries to get back on her feet after her time in prison and Danica tries to keep her love life from completely falling apart, a series of bizarre events unfolds, making for a belly-achingly hilarious watching experience.

The film also features stellar performances from Omari Hardwick and Whoopi Goldberg.

“I thought, okay let’s tell a story around catfish because it’s an MTV inspired comedy, which started it all,” Perry explained when he sat down with the Hurricane.

“As I was writing it, I was having so much fun writing the different twists and turns – because I was actually writing it for Tiffany – and all that other stuff came together. It’s just really wonderful.”

Though hilarious, the movie definitely touched on some sensitive topics, starting an important dialogue.

For example, Tanya and Danica perfectly represent almost polar opposite depictions of what the “black woman persona” is supposed to be. ­This inevitably created the potential for them to clash, but it was interesting to see the extent to which it affected their dynamic.

Tyler Perry shed light on the importance of showing this diversity on the big screen.

“It’s really great because it shows two dynamics of a very complicated, very complex palette of the beauty of black women, right? So everybody is represented at some point in this film somewhere, so it was really, really wonderful,” he said.

“Nobody’s Fool” hits theaters Nov. 2.

Kiki Aderoju

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...