Edge, Movies, Reviews

Tyler Perry promotes new movie in Miami, talks inspiration and implications

Actor, filmmaker, playwright and comedian Tyler Perry was in Miami last week promoting his new movie “Nobody’s Fool”, his latest project following the success of “Acrimony,” both of which the unbelievably talented mogul wrote, directed, and produced.

With a star-studded cast and a hilariously gripping storyline, it’s no surprise that Perry’s “Nobody’s Fool” had the entire audience falling out of their chairs.

The films follow sisters Tanya—played by Tiffany Haddish—and Danica—played by Tika Sumpter—as they try to ensure a smooth start to a fresh chapter in their lives. When Tanya is released from prison, she moves in with seemingly picture-perfect Danica, only to be thrown into a strange situation after she finds out that Danica is in a relationship with a mysterious man who she’s never met. The sisters, being polar opposites, collide over their contrasting approaches to the odd situation. As Tanya tries to get back on her feet after her time in prison and Danica tries to keep her love life from completely falling apart, a series of bizarre events unfolds, making for a belly-achingly hilarious watching experience.

The film also features stellar performances from Omari Hardwick and Whoopi Goldberg.

“I thought, okay let’s tell a story around catfish because it’s an MTV inspired comedy, which started it all,” Perry explained when he sat down with the Hurricane.

“As I was writing it, I was having so much fun writing the different twists and turns – because I was actually writing it for Tiffany – and all that other stuff came together. It’s just really wonderful.”

Though hilarious, the movie definitely touched on some sensitive topics, starting an important dialogue.

For example, Tanya and Danica perfectly represent almost polar opposite depictions of what the “black woman persona” is supposed to be. ­This inevitably created the potential for them to clash, but it was interesting to see the extent to which it affected their dynamic.

Tyler Perry shed light on the importance of showing this diversity on the big screen.

“It’s really great because it shows two dynamics of a very complicated, very complex palette of the beauty of black women, right? So everybody is represented at some point in this film somewhere, so it was really, really wonderful,” he said.

“Nobody’s Fool” hits theaters Nov. 2.

Kiki Aderoju

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...