Democracy in action: voting is a fundamental expression of citizenship

In most countries of the world, students start their university education at exactly the same age at which they become active citizens. This is a golden opportunity to engage in educational experiences that can shape a sense of shared citizenship. At the University of Miami, we endeavor to prepare students both to develop rewarding careers, and also to be constructive and responsible citizens of their communities. We call it education for life, and it is one of our priorities.

In a democracy, the action that best exemplifies citizenship is the act of voting, which gives actionable expression to the fundamental principle of government “of the people, by the people, and for the people” immortalized by President Abraham Lincoln.

The Nov. 6 midterm elections are quickly approaching—a major civic date for those of you who are US citizens. Although you will not be voting for president this time around, your vote is still extremely important. Whether you are voting in key races for Florida governor, U.S. Congress, and other local government representatives, or casting an absentee ballot in your home state, all of these elected officials have a direct impact on your day-to-day life. I am delighted to share that your fellow UM students have been at the forefront of the non-partisan Get Out The Vote initiative, completing more than 1,000 Florida registration forms in time for the mid-term elections.

Here is your call to action.

· Get informed on the issues and facts. Register for Our Democracy in 2018: ’Cane Talks on Policy and Participation in the U.S. on Nov. 2, part of the UM Alumni Association Audrey R. Finkelstein UM Experience. These three 10-minute presentations by UM faculty will be followed by an interactive conversation with the audience.

· Vote early. Early voting started in Miami-Dade and Broward counties this week and runs through Nov. 4. UM students can access special shuttle service to the Coral Gables Library branch Oct. 29 through Nov. 2. Shuttles leave from Stanford Circle every 30 minutes from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please note that Nov. 2 shuttle service departs from Mahoney/Pearson due to Homecoming festivities.

· Vote on Nov. 6. Watsco Center is a polling site on campus for assigned voters. Look out for more information on ’Canes Vote Extravaganza on Election Day.

Much can be accomplished when you exercise your right to vote. As an informed and engaged citizen, you help to shape the future for all of us. Make your voice count.

This column was first published on Life@TheU on Oct. 25, 2018.

Frenkly Speaking is a monthly column by President Frenk for readers of The Miami Hurricane. Got a question for President Frenk? Send it to president@miami.edu.

Julio Frenk

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...