Dean of Miami Business School publishes two new books

John Quelch, dean of the Miami Business School and vice provost for executive education at the University of Miami, recently published two books that explore the intersections between healthcare and business.

“Choice Matters,” published in July of 2018, focuses primarily on the correlation between consumer engagement in decisions they make about healthcare and consumer compliance with what they decided.

Quelch said this topic is relevant today because there is a lack of transparency pertaining to the cost of procedures, operations and drugs in the healthcare industry, making it difficult for consumers to make informed decisions.

“What we do in this book is really highlight why clinicians and managers should care about engaging consumers,” Quelch said. “If they engage consumers, the satisfaction with the industry will be great. But most importantly, the healthcare outcomes will be better for the consumers.”

In his newest book, “Compassionate Management of Mental Health in the Modern Workplace,” which was published in September, Quelch analyzes the link between productivity of employees and mental health. He also examines how the stigmatization of mental illness can cause, among other things, a decrease in productivity.

“What we do in this book is try to address scenarios and provide guidance to everyday managers who are not clinicians on how they should address different kinds of problems,” said Quelch.

Former UM President Donna Shalala reviewed the book, saying that mental health in the workplace is a topic that frightens most managers.

“If they read this book, they will strengthen their own skills and transform their workplace and our society,” she said.

Steven Ullmann, Department Chair of Health Sector Management and Policy, said that Quelch is the perfect person to be looking at these issues.

“Dean Quelch comes from an interesting background, being the only professor in the recent history of Harvard to have had a joint appointment in the School of Business and the School of Public Health,” said Ullman.

Because healthcare accounts for a significant percentage of the United States’ GDP, Quelch said he wrote these books to bring awareness to the importance of effective management within such a prominent industry.

“I’ve put out these books, and it’s really a function of cumulative interest and a desire to make an impact on the practice of management in healthcare and related fields,” said Quelch.

Jaime Harn

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...