Dean of Miami Business School publishes two new books

John Quelch, dean of the Miami Business School and vice provost for executive education at the University of Miami, recently published two books that explore the intersections between healthcare and business.

“Choice Matters,” published in July of 2018, focuses primarily on the correlation between consumer engagement in decisions they make about healthcare and consumer compliance with what they decided.

Quelch said this topic is relevant today because there is a lack of transparency pertaining to the cost of procedures, operations and drugs in the healthcare industry, making it difficult for consumers to make informed decisions.

“What we do in this book is really highlight why clinicians and managers should care about engaging consumers,” Quelch said. “If they engage consumers, the satisfaction with the industry will be great. But most importantly, the healthcare outcomes will be better for the consumers.”

In his newest book, “Compassionate Management of Mental Health in the Modern Workplace,” which was published in September, Quelch analyzes the link between productivity of employees and mental health. He also examines how the stigmatization of mental illness can cause, among other things, a decrease in productivity.

“What we do in this book is try to address scenarios and provide guidance to everyday managers who are not clinicians on how they should address different kinds of problems,” said Quelch.

Former UM President Donna Shalala reviewed the book, saying that mental health in the workplace is a topic that frightens most managers.

“If they read this book, they will strengthen their own skills and transform their workplace and our society,” she said.

Steven Ullmann, Department Chair of Health Sector Management and Policy, said that Quelch is the perfect person to be looking at these issues.

“Dean Quelch comes from an interesting background, being the only professor in the recent history of Harvard to have had a joint appointment in the School of Business and the School of Public Health,” said Ullman.

Because healthcare accounts for a significant percentage of the United States’ GDP, Quelch said he wrote these books to bring awareness to the importance of effective management within such a prominent industry.

“I’ve put out these books, and it’s really a function of cumulative interest and a desire to make an impact on the practice of management in healthcare and related fields,” said Quelch.

Jaime Harn

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...