Cover, Crime and Safety, News

Man detained in connection with murder of UM student

Update, 3:07 p.m., Oct. 25: Gore has confessed to the murder of Abualfaraj, multiple outlets report.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has arrested a homeless man in connection with the murder of a University of Miami architecture student.

Robert Wayne Gore, 28, is expected to be charged with the murder of Yasser Talal Ibrahim Abualfaraj, who was found dead with with “multiple signs of trauma” Oct. 7 in his off-campus Coral Gables apartment, according to the MDPD.

Police said their investigation led to Gore’s identification and subsequent arrest. Gore was taken into custody in the area of S.W. 200 Street and South Dixie Highway and transported to the MDPD homicide bureau for questioning.

Gore has a history of frequent arrests, with charges ranging from loitering and disorderly conduct to burglary and drug possession.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has not yet responded to The Hurricane’s request for more information.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...