Cover, Crime and Safety, News

Man detained in connection with murder of UM student

Update, 3:07 p.m., Oct. 25: Gore has confessed to the murder of Abualfaraj, multiple outlets report.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has arrested a homeless man in connection with the murder of a University of Miami architecture student.

Robert Wayne Gore, 28, is expected to be charged with the murder of Yasser Talal Ibrahim Abualfaraj, who was found dead with with “multiple signs of trauma” Oct. 7 in his off-campus Coral Gables apartment, according to the MDPD.

Police said their investigation led to Gore’s identification and subsequent arrest. Gore was taken into custody in the area of S.W. 200 Street and South Dixie Highway and transported to the MDPD homicide bureau for questioning.

Gore has a history of frequent arrests, with charges ranging from loitering and disorderly conduct to burglary and drug possession.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has not yet responded to The Hurricane’s request for more information.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...