Cover, Crime and Safety, News

Man detained in connection with murder of UM student

Update, 3:07 p.m., Oct. 25: Gore has confessed to the murder of Abualfaraj, multiple outlets report.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has arrested a homeless man in connection with the murder of a University of Miami architecture student.

Robert Wayne Gore, 28, is expected to be charged with the murder of Yasser Talal Ibrahim Abualfaraj, who was found dead with with “multiple signs of trauma” Oct. 7 in his off-campus Coral Gables apartment, according to the MDPD.

Police said their investigation led to Gore’s identification and subsequent arrest. Gore was taken into custody in the area of S.W. 200 Street and South Dixie Highway and transported to the MDPD homicide bureau for questioning.

Gore has a history of frequent arrests, with charges ranging from loitering and disorderly conduct to burglary and drug possession.

The Miami-Dade Police Department has not yet responded to The Hurricane’s request for more information.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...