Academics, Campus Life, Community, News

UMindfulness reminds students to relax during midterms season

_DSC0955-2.jpg

Senior Samantha Steefel studies for her biochemistry midterm in the Richter Library Monday, Oct. 22. The library is highly populated during exam periods as is often difficult to find an empty seat during those times. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

It’s midterms season, and many students face an onslaught of exams, papers, and projects. However, members of the UMindfulness club say they have a solution to the stresses of college life.

Jaclyn Levine, a freshman biology major and member of the UMindfulness club, said practicing mindfulness can help students cope with the spike in stress levels that results from a having to balance extracurriculars, work, personal relationships and midterms.

“We get so caught up in these little human stresses and it’s important to take time to realign yourself before tackling it all,” Levine said.

The UMindfulness club meets Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. in the Gifford Arboretum to participate in mindfulness activities and discuss related topics. While meetings usually begin with a short meditation session, mindfulness is about more than just meditating, said Jabari Brooks, the UMindfulness outreach chair.

“It’s being aware of the situations in your life, in school, with parents and relationships,” said Brooks, a junior neuroscience major.

At UMindfulness’ most recent meeting, Brooks led a mindful seeing activity. He said mindful seeing involves looking at one’s surroundings with awareness instead of judgment. Practicing mindful seeing relates to one of the key components of mindfulness, remaining anchored in the present moment. In being mindful, one should let go of all past regrets and future worries, Brooks said.

“Anxiety gets out of control when you worry about being worried,” Brooks said. “A lot of times we take a backseat to our emotions. Mindfulness allows you to zen in, let things pass and really understand your feelings.”

Scott L. Rogers, a program director for UMindfulness and director of the mindfulness and law program at the University of Miami School of Law, said practicing mindfulness can create positive change outside of just managing stress.

“Personal relationships improve; listening and focus improve,” Rogers said. “It has practical benefits that can be realized, but ultimately all of those move in a direction of feeling more alive, engaged, interested and motivated in the moments of our life because we’re more here for them.”

Rogers said students can incorporate mindfulness into their daily lives in a variety of ways through mindful walking, moving and listening. The key to making an activity mindful is being able to recognize when one becomes distracted, he said.

“It’s about noticing when the mind wanders,” Rogers said. “That’s the magic moment. There are many ways of making mindfulness practice a very practical and pragmatic part of the day.”

Brooks said he hopes students will practice mindfulness this midterms season in order to become more relaxed and productive.

“For tests, there’s no reason to let anxiety get to a certain level,” he said. “It’s just something else that will pass.”

Benjamin Estrada

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...