Academics, Campus Life, Community, News

UMindfulness reminds students to relax during midterms season

_DSC0955-2.jpg

Senior Samantha Steefel studies for her biochemistry midterm in the Richter Library Monday, Oct. 22. The library is highly populated during exam periods as is often difficult to find an empty seat during those times. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

It’s midterms season, and many students face an onslaught of exams, papers, and projects. However, members of the UMindfulness club say they have a solution to the stresses of college life.

Jaclyn Levine, a freshman biology major and member of the UMindfulness club, said practicing mindfulness can help students cope with the spike in stress levels that results from a having to balance extracurriculars, work, personal relationships and midterms.

“We get so caught up in these little human stresses and it’s important to take time to realign yourself before tackling it all,” Levine said.

The UMindfulness club meets Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. in the Gifford Arboretum to participate in mindfulness activities and discuss related topics. While meetings usually begin with a short meditation session, mindfulness is about more than just meditating, said Jabari Brooks, the UMindfulness outreach chair.

“It’s being aware of the situations in your life, in school, with parents and relationships,” said Brooks, a junior neuroscience major.

At UMindfulness’ most recent meeting, Brooks led a mindful seeing activity. He said mindful seeing involves looking at one’s surroundings with awareness instead of judgment. Practicing mindful seeing relates to one of the key components of mindfulness, remaining anchored in the present moment. In being mindful, one should let go of all past regrets and future worries, Brooks said.

“Anxiety gets out of control when you worry about being worried,” Brooks said. “A lot of times we take a backseat to our emotions. Mindfulness allows you to zen in, let things pass and really understand your feelings.”

Scott L. Rogers, a program director for UMindfulness and director of the mindfulness and law program at the University of Miami School of Law, said practicing mindfulness can create positive change outside of just managing stress.

“Personal relationships improve; listening and focus improve,” Rogers said. “It has practical benefits that can be realized, but ultimately all of those move in a direction of feeling more alive, engaged, interested and motivated in the moments of our life because we’re more here for them.”

Rogers said students can incorporate mindfulness into their daily lives in a variety of ways through mindful walking, moving and listening. The key to making an activity mindful is being able to recognize when one becomes distracted, he said.

“It’s about noticing when the mind wanders,” Rogers said. “That’s the magic moment. There are many ways of making mindfulness practice a very practical and pragmatic part of the day.”

Brooks said he hopes students will practice mindfulness this midterms season in order to become more relaxed and productive.

“For tests, there’s no reason to let anxiety get to a certain level,” he said. “It’s just something else that will pass.”

Benjamin Estrada

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...