Cover, Football, Sports

N’Kosi Perry reprimanded, Mark Richt cites lack of maturity

QB.jpg

Redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry directs traffic at the line of scrimmage against Florida International University Sept. 22 at Hard Rock Stadium. Perry finished with a career-high 224 yards and three touchdowns on 17 of 25 passing. Photo credit: Josh Halper

The Hurricanes quarterback competition between N’Kosi Perry and Malik Rosier has been well documented throughout the 2018 campaign.

However, this past weekend, Perry caught the attention of the Miami fans and coaching staff for an off-the-field reason.

The redshirt freshman posted a video, on his Instagram account, riding in a car with a whopping amount of money in his lap. The video has since been deleted.

“It’s been addressed,” Hurricanes coach Mark Richt said. “He didn’t break any laws. He didn’t break any NCAA rules. He’s in good standing, but the image is not good. We don’t like that. He’s just got to be more mature and more wise with what he does.”

This is the second time this season Miami has disciplined Perry. The Ocala, Florida native was suspended for the Hurricanes season opener against LSU after violating team rules.

Perry isn’t the only UM quarterback this year who has failed to stay out of trouble. Fellow redshirt freshman Cade Weldon is in the midst of serving a four-game suspension.

“Sometimes kids just want to do what everybody else is doing,’’ Richt said. “There’s a bunch of kids that are acting like they’ve got a bunch of money on Snapchat and there may be 20,000 kids doing it, but they don’t play quarterback at Miami. They’ve just got to understand that it’s different for them because people know who they are.”

Richt continues to reiterate he will start the quarterback who gives Miami “the best chance to win.” And just last week, the Hurricanes coach announced that Rosier will start against Boston College Oct. 26 at Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, but Perry will also likely get playing time.

“Am I saying 100 percent he’s going to get in the game? No,’’ Richt said, about Perry. “But the plan would be for our second-team quarterback to get in the game. And any time that I’ve been coaching, if I’ve got a second-team guy that’s ready enough to get in the game — and is only going to get better with game reps — I want to get that guy in the game if I don’t think he’s going to hurt the team in some way, shape or form.”

Kosi-2.jpg

Hurricanes redshirt freshman quarterback N'Kosi Perry surveys the field for an open receiver against the Florida State Seminoles Oct. 6 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

Perry burst onto the scene with a career-best performance after relieving Rosier against Florida International University Sept. 22. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound gunslinger finished 17 of 25 for 224 yards and three touchdowns.

“I think Kosi has come far enough to at least earn the right to get into the game as the No. 2 right now,” Richt said. “Whether or not situation’s right and all that, like I said, we’ll manage all that when it comes.”

Since his strong outing against FIU, Perry earned three consecutive conference starts, but struggled in his most recent effort against Virginia. He completed just three of his first six attempts and threw two interceptions against the Cavaliers, which Richt promptly followed by substituting Rosier.

“Everything is a learning experience,” Richt said. “College is a learning experience. Guys are human. Guys make mistakes. I think if everybody’s really honest with themselves and kind of looks back at the time when you were that age and if everybody knew everything you did, there would probably be some embarrassing moments.”

Josh White

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...