Cover, Football, Sports

N’Kosi Perry reprimanded, Mark Richt cites lack of maturity

QB.jpg

Redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry directs traffic at the line of scrimmage against Florida International University Sept. 22 at Hard Rock Stadium. Perry finished with a career-high 224 yards and three touchdowns on 17 of 25 passing. Photo credit: Josh Halper

The Hurricanes quarterback competition between N’Kosi Perry and Malik Rosier has been well documented throughout the 2018 campaign.

However, this past weekend, Perry caught the attention of the Miami fans and coaching staff for an off-the-field reason.

The redshirt freshman posted a video, on his Instagram account, riding in a car with a whopping amount of money in his lap. The video has since been deleted.

“It’s been addressed,” Hurricanes coach Mark Richt said. “He didn’t break any laws. He didn’t break any NCAA rules. He’s in good standing, but the image is not good. We don’t like that. He’s just got to be more mature and more wise with what he does.”

This is the second time this season Miami has disciplined Perry. The Ocala, Florida native was suspended for the Hurricanes season opener against LSU after violating team rules.

Perry isn’t the only UM quarterback this year who has failed to stay out of trouble. Fellow redshirt freshman Cade Weldon is in the midst of serving a four-game suspension.

“Sometimes kids just want to do what everybody else is doing,’’ Richt said. “There’s a bunch of kids that are acting like they’ve got a bunch of money on Snapchat and there may be 20,000 kids doing it, but they don’t play quarterback at Miami. They’ve just got to understand that it’s different for them because people know who they are.”

Richt continues to reiterate he will start the quarterback who gives Miami “the best chance to win.” And just last week, the Hurricanes coach announced that Rosier will start against Boston College Oct. 26 at Alumni Stadium in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, but Perry will also likely get playing time.

“Am I saying 100 percent he’s going to get in the game? No,’’ Richt said, about Perry. “But the plan would be for our second-team quarterback to get in the game. And any time that I’ve been coaching, if I’ve got a second-team guy that’s ready enough to get in the game — and is only going to get better with game reps — I want to get that guy in the game if I don’t think he’s going to hurt the team in some way, shape or form.”

Kosi-2.jpg

Hurricanes redshirt freshman quarterback N'Kosi Perry surveys the field for an open receiver against the Florida State Seminoles Oct. 6 at Hard Rock Stadium. Photo credit: Matt Bernanke

Perry burst onto the scene with a career-best performance after relieving Rosier against Florida International University Sept. 22. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound gunslinger finished 17 of 25 for 224 yards and three touchdowns.

“I think Kosi has come far enough to at least earn the right to get into the game as the No. 2 right now,” Richt said. “Whether or not situation’s right and all that, like I said, we’ll manage all that when it comes.”

Since his strong outing against FIU, Perry earned three consecutive conference starts, but struggled in his most recent effort against Virginia. He completed just three of his first six attempts and threw two interceptions against the Cavaliers, which Richt promptly followed by substituting Rosier.

“Everything is a learning experience,” Richt said. “College is a learning experience. Guys are human. Guys make mistakes. I think if everybody’s really honest with themselves and kind of looks back at the time when you were that age and if everybody knew everything you did, there would probably be some embarrassing moments.”

Josh White

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...