Campus Life, Community, News

Ibis Yearbook to offer weekly prizes for best photo submissions

The Ibis Yearbook is looking for photo submissions from University of Miami students, and they’re offering prizes for the best entries.

The Ibis editor-in-chief, Morgan Thomson, said her team is looking for photos that tie into this year’s theme: what it means to be a Cane.

“This is broader than just attending a football game or homecoming festivities, but supporting the community and taking advantage of all the experiences students are lucky to have going to school in Miami,” said Thomson, a sophomore studying criminology and sociology.

Every week from now until May, students can submit photos to tinyurl.com/ibisphotocontest. The yearbook’s advisor, professor Randy Stano, will judge entries every Tuesday at 5 p.m. Stano will select a new winner every week to receive a $20 gift card to the Rat, and a runner-up to receive a $10 gift card.

But even non-winning entries have a chance to be featured in the yearbook or on one of its social media pages. Thomson said all photos should relate to UM’s students, but can be taken off campus and don’t necessarily have to feature a person.

“Our staff photographers cannot catch everything and we want to feature student photographers as much as possible since the yearbook is by students and for the students,” said Thomson.

Photo submissions will also be judged from a technical standpoint, with lighting, composition and focus all being taken into a consideration. Entries should also include captions that address the who, what, where, when and why of the photo.

Thomson said the competition is a great opportunity for student photographers to make their voices heard. Anthony Bonacolta, president of the UM photography club, said he agrees.

“Student photographers are able to capture the aspects of UM that speak most to them,” said Bonacolta, a senior double majoring in marine science and microbiology. “It’s interesting to see what simple detail or scene in the everyday life of a student inspires that student to photograph it.”

Another incentive: Ibis Yearbook enters all published photographs into competitions such as the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Gold Circle awards, so student photographers who submit to the contest could win awards in feature photo, sports action photo or any of the other yearbook photo categories.

Thomson said she’s looking forward to seeing what kinds of photos students submit, because it will clue her in to what the UM community wants to see in the yearbook.

“I’d really like to see this contest take off so that student photos will play a greater part in the 2019 Ibis as well as years to come,” she said.

Rebecca Goddard

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...