Soccer, Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis, Volleyball

Hurricanes falter during fall recess

Soccer

Miami didn’t score a single goal throughout its two-game road trip in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes faced the North Carolina State Wolfpack Oct. 18 and the Pack took no time to trigger their offense. In the second minute, Kia Rankin shook off her defender and placed a shot that deflected off a Hurricane for the first and only goal of the match. UM fell 1-0.

After losing to the Wolfpack, Miami headed to Chapel Hill to compete against No. 3 North Carolina. The Hurricanes surrendered a goal in each half and lost 2-0 despite a historic day for goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce.

The redshirt senior set a school record with 17 saves in a single-match. North Carolina notched 19 shots on goal, while the Miami didn’t register a shot on goal.

The Hurricanes (5-9-1, 2-6-1 ACC) will play their final game of the season against rival Florida State 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Cobb Stadium.

Swimming & Diving

Miami was able to break even in Atlanta facing off against four teams.

On Friday, Oct. 19, the Hurricanes defeated The Savannah College of Art and Design Bees, 176-44. Miami followed the victory with a narrow win over the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, 121-119..

However, the UM lost both matchups the following day against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. The Yellow Jackets stung the Hurricanes, 165-93, and Irish crushed Canes, 200-59.

Freshman Zorry Mason continued her note-worthy rookie campaign with a 57.33 first-place finish in the 100 IM.

Miami will head back to Coral Gables for a three-way meet between Boston College and Florida Atlantic University Nov. 2-3 at the Norman Whitten Pool.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes solidified three slots in the main draw quarterfinals at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship in Athens, Georgia.

No. 92 Bojan Jankulovski topped University of South Florida’s Ivan Yatsuk, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles action, Jankulovski partnered with freshman Francisco Bastias and edged out Florida States’s Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and Chase Wood, 8-6.

No. 41 Adria Soriano Barrera also secured a spot in the quarterfinals with his commanding 6-2, 6-2 win over Florida Atlantic’s Jason Legall.

With their performances, Jankulovski, Soriano and Bastias have earned spots in the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships from Nov. 7-11 in Surprise, Arizona.

Women’s Tennis

Miami got one singles victory at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships in Atlanta.

Yuna Ito picked up the lone win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over University of North Florida’s Lucia Montaño.

The Hurricanes will travel to Alabama to take part in the Auburn Fall Invite Oct. 26-28 at Yarbrough Tennis Center.

DSC_4824.jpg

The Hurricanes celebrate a Kolby Bird (14) kill against Clemson Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Bird tied a season-high with 17 kills. Photo credit: Josh White

Volleyball

The Hurricanes failed to keep their perfect home Atlantic Coast Conference record intact this past weekend.

Clemson swept Miami in straight sets, taking the match 25-21, 25-23, 25-23, Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Kolby Bird led Miami, tying a season-high with 17 kills and two blocks against the Tigers.

Despite the loss, the Hurricanes bounced back Sunday, Oct. 21 with a 3-1 victory against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Redshirt senior Haley Templeton dished out 40 assists, totaled seven kill and a match-high three service aces.

UM will continue its four-match homestand against the Florida State Seminoles 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...