Soccer, Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis, Volleyball

Hurricanes falter during fall recess

Soccer

Miami didn’t score a single goal throughout its two-game road trip in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes faced the North Carolina State Wolfpack Oct. 18 and the Pack took no time to trigger their offense. In the second minute, Kia Rankin shook off her defender and placed a shot that deflected off a Hurricane for the first and only goal of the match. UM fell 1-0.

After losing to the Wolfpack, Miami headed to Chapel Hill to compete against No. 3 North Carolina. The Hurricanes surrendered a goal in each half and lost 2-0 despite a historic day for goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce.

The redshirt senior set a school record with 17 saves in a single-match. North Carolina notched 19 shots on goal, while the Miami didn’t register a shot on goal.

The Hurricanes (5-9-1, 2-6-1 ACC) will play their final game of the season against rival Florida State 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Cobb Stadium.

Swimming & Diving

Miami was able to break even in Atlanta facing off against four teams.

On Friday, Oct. 19, the Hurricanes defeated The Savannah College of Art and Design Bees, 176-44. Miami followed the victory with a narrow win over the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, 121-119..

However, the UM lost both matchups the following day against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. The Yellow Jackets stung the Hurricanes, 165-93, and Irish crushed Canes, 200-59.

Freshman Zorry Mason continued her note-worthy rookie campaign with a 57.33 first-place finish in the 100 IM.

Miami will head back to Coral Gables for a three-way meet between Boston College and Florida Atlantic University Nov. 2-3 at the Norman Whitten Pool.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes solidified three slots in the main draw quarterfinals at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship in Athens, Georgia.

No. 92 Bojan Jankulovski topped University of South Florida’s Ivan Yatsuk, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles action, Jankulovski partnered with freshman Francisco Bastias and edged out Florida States’s Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and Chase Wood, 8-6.

No. 41 Adria Soriano Barrera also secured a spot in the quarterfinals with his commanding 6-2, 6-2 win over Florida Atlantic’s Jason Legall.

With their performances, Jankulovski, Soriano and Bastias have earned spots in the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships from Nov. 7-11 in Surprise, Arizona.

Women’s Tennis

Miami got one singles victory at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships in Atlanta.

Yuna Ito picked up the lone win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over University of North Florida’s Lucia Montaño.

The Hurricanes will travel to Alabama to take part in the Auburn Fall Invite Oct. 26-28 at Yarbrough Tennis Center.

DSC_4824.jpg

The Hurricanes celebrate a Kolby Bird (14) kill against Clemson Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Bird tied a season-high with 17 kills. Photo credit: Josh White

Volleyball

The Hurricanes failed to keep their perfect home Atlantic Coast Conference record intact this past weekend.

Clemson swept Miami in straight sets, taking the match 25-21, 25-23, 25-23, Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Kolby Bird led Miami, tying a season-high with 17 kills and two blocks against the Tigers.

Despite the loss, the Hurricanes bounced back Sunday, Oct. 21 with a 3-1 victory against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Redshirt senior Haley Templeton dished out 40 assists, totaled seven kill and a match-high three service aces.

UM will continue its four-match homestand against the Florida State Seminoles 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...