Soccer, Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis, Volleyball

Hurricanes falter during fall recess

Soccer

Miami didn’t score a single goal throughout its two-game road trip in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes faced the North Carolina State Wolfpack Oct. 18 and the Pack took no time to trigger their offense. In the second minute, Kia Rankin shook off her defender and placed a shot that deflected off a Hurricane for the first and only goal of the match. UM fell 1-0.

After losing to the Wolfpack, Miami headed to Chapel Hill to compete against No. 3 North Carolina. The Hurricanes surrendered a goal in each half and lost 2-0 despite a historic day for goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce.

The redshirt senior set a school record with 17 saves in a single-match. North Carolina notched 19 shots on goal, while the Miami didn’t register a shot on goal.

The Hurricanes (5-9-1, 2-6-1 ACC) will play their final game of the season against rival Florida State 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Cobb Stadium.

Swimming & Diving

Miami was able to break even in Atlanta facing off against four teams.

On Friday, Oct. 19, the Hurricanes defeated The Savannah College of Art and Design Bees, 176-44. Miami followed the victory with a narrow win over the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, 121-119..

However, the UM lost both matchups the following day against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. The Yellow Jackets stung the Hurricanes, 165-93, and Irish crushed Canes, 200-59.

Freshman Zorry Mason continued her note-worthy rookie campaign with a 57.33 first-place finish in the 100 IM.

Miami will head back to Coral Gables for a three-way meet between Boston College and Florida Atlantic University Nov. 2-3 at the Norman Whitten Pool.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes solidified three slots in the main draw quarterfinals at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship in Athens, Georgia.

No. 92 Bojan Jankulovski topped University of South Florida’s Ivan Yatsuk, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles action, Jankulovski partnered with freshman Francisco Bastias and edged out Florida States’s Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and Chase Wood, 8-6.

No. 41 Adria Soriano Barrera also secured a spot in the quarterfinals with his commanding 6-2, 6-2 win over Florida Atlantic’s Jason Legall.

With their performances, Jankulovski, Soriano and Bastias have earned spots in the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships from Nov. 7-11 in Surprise, Arizona.

Women’s Tennis

Miami got one singles victory at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships in Atlanta.

Yuna Ito picked up the lone win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over University of North Florida’s Lucia Montaño.

The Hurricanes will travel to Alabama to take part in the Auburn Fall Invite Oct. 26-28 at Yarbrough Tennis Center.

DSC_4824.jpg

The Hurricanes celebrate a Kolby Bird (14) kill against Clemson Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Bird tied a season-high with 17 kills. Photo credit: Josh White

Volleyball

The Hurricanes failed to keep their perfect home Atlantic Coast Conference record intact this past weekend.

Clemson swept Miami in straight sets, taking the match 25-21, 25-23, 25-23, Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Kolby Bird led Miami, tying a season-high with 17 kills and two blocks against the Tigers.

Despite the loss, the Hurricanes bounced back Sunday, Oct. 21 with a 3-1 victory against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Redshirt senior Haley Templeton dished out 40 assists, totaled seven kill and a match-high three service aces.

UM will continue its four-match homestand against the Florida State Seminoles 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.