Soccer, Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis, Volleyball

Hurricanes falter during fall recess

Soccer

Miami didn’t score a single goal throughout its two-game road trip in North Carolina.

The Hurricanes faced the North Carolina State Wolfpack Oct. 18 and the Pack took no time to trigger their offense. In the second minute, Kia Rankin shook off her defender and placed a shot that deflected off a Hurricane for the first and only goal of the match. UM fell 1-0.

After losing to the Wolfpack, Miami headed to Chapel Hill to compete against No. 3 North Carolina. The Hurricanes surrendered a goal in each half and lost 2-0 despite a historic day for goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce.

The redshirt senior set a school record with 17 saves in a single-match. North Carolina notched 19 shots on goal, while the Miami didn’t register a shot on goal.

The Hurricanes (5-9-1, 2-6-1 ACC) will play their final game of the season against rival Florida State 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at Cobb Stadium.

Swimming & Diving

Miami was able to break even in Atlanta facing off against four teams.

On Friday, Oct. 19, the Hurricanes defeated The Savannah College of Art and Design Bees, 176-44. Miami followed the victory with a narrow win over the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, 121-119..

However, the UM lost both matchups the following day against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. The Yellow Jackets stung the Hurricanes, 165-93, and Irish crushed Canes, 200-59.

Freshman Zorry Mason continued her note-worthy rookie campaign with a 57.33 first-place finish in the 100 IM.

Miami will head back to Coral Gables for a three-way meet between Boston College and Florida Atlantic University Nov. 2-3 at the Norman Whitten Pool.

Men’s Tennis

The Hurricanes solidified three slots in the main draw quarterfinals at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship in Athens, Georgia.

No. 92 Bojan Jankulovski topped University of South Florida’s Ivan Yatsuk, 6-2, 6-4. In doubles action, Jankulovski partnered with freshman Francisco Bastias and edged out Florida States’s Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and Chase Wood, 8-6.

No. 41 Adria Soriano Barrera also secured a spot in the quarterfinals with his commanding 6-2, 6-2 win over Florida Atlantic’s Jason Legall.

With their performances, Jankulovski, Soriano and Bastias have earned spots in the Oracle ITA National Fall Championships from Nov. 7-11 in Surprise, Arizona.

Women’s Tennis

Miami got one singles victory at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships in Atlanta.

Yuna Ito picked up the lone win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over University of North Florida’s Lucia Montaño.

The Hurricanes will travel to Alabama to take part in the Auburn Fall Invite Oct. 26-28 at Yarbrough Tennis Center.

DSC_4824.jpg

The Hurricanes celebrate a Kolby Bird (14) kill against Clemson Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex. Bird tied a season-high with 17 kills. Photo credit: Josh White

Volleyball

The Hurricanes failed to keep their perfect home Atlantic Coast Conference record intact this past weekend.

Clemson swept Miami in straight sets, taking the match 25-21, 25-23, 25-23, Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Kolby Bird led Miami, tying a season-high with 17 kills and two blocks against the Tigers.

Despite the loss, the Hurricanes bounced back Sunday, Oct. 21 with a 3-1 victory against the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Redshirt senior Haley Templeton dished out 40 assists, totaled seven kill and a match-high three service aces.

UM will continue its four-match homestand against the Florida State Seminoles 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...