Health, News

Food Day celebrations aim to educate students on sustainability

Facts about sustainable and healthy eating will be readily available across the University of Miami’s campus this week in celebration of National Food Day, along with plenty of free food.

People across the country celebrate Food Day annually on Oct. 24, with activists and organizations using it as an opportunity to educate Americans on how they can improve their diets to create a more sustainable food industry.

The UM community will celebrate Food Day from Oct. 22 to Oct. 24. Various on-campus organizations will host events alongside Miami companies and nonprofits, giving students the chance to learn about sustainable eating while also exploring South Florida’s many food-centric organizations.

One of Food Day’s main events, a screening of the documentary “Forks Over Knives,” will be hosted by the Student Government ECO Agency and take place at 6 p.m Oct. 23 in room 203 of the Ungar building.

Juan Endara, a passionate vegan and animal-rights activist and employee at the University of Miami, will introduce the film. While students enjoy food from a zero-waste buffet, Endara will speak about why he went vegan and explain the health and environmental benefits of a plant-based diet.

“One of the benefits that comes with being vegan is that your environmental impact is much lower than meat eaters,” Endara said.

The film “Forks Over Knives” focuses on diet-related health problems in westernized societies and examines how to address these issues on both a global and individual scale.

“We really want the students to realize that their daily choices impact their health significantly,” Endara said. “If you aren’t aware and just fall into a routine, you can really hurt yourself.”

Art Friedrich, president of Urban Oasis Project, will also speak during the Food Day festivities. His organization strives to improve public health, the local economy and environmental sustainability by educating people on where to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables.

Friedrich said he’s looking forward to Food Day this year because it’s a great opportunity to educate students on important issues.

“Students can learn this year about how to get involved with our nearby farmers markets or learn how to volunteer on farms and at our farm to table dinners,” said Friedrich.

Friedrich and other prominent activists from Miami will participate in a panel discussion on the importance of local food at 6 p.m Wednesday, Oct. 24 in the Kislak Center. Admission is free and attendees will also receive a free vegan dinner.

In addition to the film screening and panel discussion, Food Day will also include a “fair food fair” from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the UC Whitten Lower Lounge. Students will have access to free food samples while they go from table to table learning about healthy eating, urban farming, community gardens and plant-based recipes.

To learn more about Food Day and to see a full list of events, visit the office of sustainability’s website at https://greenu.miami.edu/topics/food-and-well-being/food-day/index.html.

Rebecca Goddard

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...