Sports, Volleyball

Despite differences, duo makes towering impact

Lukianova-Duque-Height.jpg

Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Elizaveta Lukianova and junior defensive specialist Sara Duque say they’ve developed a unique friendship despite their differences. Photo credit: Isaiah Kim-Martinez

On the University of Miami volleyball court, redshirt sophomore Elizaveta Lukianova and junior Sara Duque complement each other.

They play different positions – Lukianova is an outside hitter and Duque is a defensive specialist – but they both put their unique fingerprints on every match.

“You can find both of them in our office watching film and watching other matches from around the country,” associate head coach Kasey Crider said. “They’re into the sport like few others are.”

But what makes this connection especially eye-catching is that these two players are the shortest and tallest athletes on the team. Lukianova stands 6-foot-6, while Duque is 5-foot-2.

That’s a whopping 16-inch height difference.

“People aren’t used to seeing tall people and short people together like that, and when they do, I wouldn’t say it’s awkward but it definitely grabs their attention,” Lukianova said.

Both players have heard their fair share of doubters when it comes to their height in volleyball. Some have considered Lukianova too tall and Duque too short, but they have proven otherwise, both playing integral parts in the Hurricanes’ success.

“We can always rely on each other – we have each other’s backs on the court,” Lukianova said.

And the impact they have on people off the court matters just as much. When the two go places together, they draw plenty of attention because of their difference in size, but this doesn’t bother them. They see it as an opportunity to motivate others, especially the youth.

“I think it shows any height can play the sport,” Duque said. “I have a lot of little girls come up to me and say, ‘you play even though you’re so short!’ It’s really cool to see the different reactions we get from that.”

Lukianova and Duque’s differences stem further from just their height – they couldn’t be from more different places.

Lukianova is from Omsk, Russia, where she lived the majority of her life until college, while Duque is more of a local coming from Plantation, Florida.

They got to UM at the same time in 2016, but during their first year, Lukianova lived on her own. Duque said she rarely ever heard Lukianova speak and barely even knew what she sounded like.

But starting in their second year, they would go on to be roommates and become close friends. The two said that coming from immensely different backgrounds has actually grown their relationship as they try to learn each other’s culture.

Lukianova spoke very little English her first year at Miami, but Duque has helped her adjust and become more comfortable with the language. They have enjoyed the process, even when it comes with a few jokes once in a while.

“Yeah, she definitely asks a lot of questions,” Duque said with a laugh.

“Sometimes they are stupid, but I just don’t know!” Lukianova said with a smile regarding the questions. “I need to know and figure them out.”

They will continue to squash stereotypes while inspiring others with every single match.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...