Community, Edge

15 cheap, easy ways to be kind to yourself

There is always a big push to be nice to others. We’re encouraged to check up on our loved ones, give back whenever possible, and lend a listening ear to anyone who needs it. But, what about being nice to ourselves?

As young adults dealing with rigorous academic schedules, a particularly divisive social and political climate, and whatever else life throws our way, we often spend so much time taking care of other people that we forget to take care of ourselves.

The truth is, sometimes we need to be selfish. Sometimes we need a few minutes to focus on nothing but ourselves and how we feel. But, that can be difficult.

“Treating yourself” is more than using a face mask once a month. It is not one-size-fits-all, and learning what works for you may take some time. It is a process, but it is one that is absolutely essential in maintaining a physically and mentally healthy lifestyle.

So, here’s my list of 15 simple, inexpensive, and non time-consuming self-care acts to get you started.

1. Take a bath

2. Go for a run

Embed from Getty Images

3. Do something you love

4. Make your bed

You’re already stressed. We all are. Clutter can make that worse. Taking a few extra minutes in the morning to make your bed will make all the difference when you return from a long day of classes to a neat, homey room instead of a messy one.

5. List three things you’re grateful for

We often get so caught up in what’s going wrong that we forget what is going right. Taking a minute to remind yourself what you have going for you is a quick way to ease anxiety at least for the moment.

6. List three things you like about yourself

Embed from Getty Images

7. Say no to something you don’t want to do

It seems simple: if you don’t want to do something, don’t. In practice, however, many of us have difficulty saying no for fear of disappointing our friends and family. We feel like being tired or needing rest or simply just not wanting to is not a good enough reason, but it is. Taking care of yourself is the best reason there is. So, next time the opportunity presents itself, say no. You’ll feel relieved, and good friends and family will understand.

8. Have a dance party

9. Drink a cup of water

Aside from the discomfort that comes with being thirsty, dehydration can cause more serious effects like fatigue, irritability, and difficulty concentrating. Since most of us do not drink nearly enough water, remembering to keep yourself hydrated could be the pick-me-up you need to turn your day around.

10. Treat yourself to your favorite guilty pleasure food

Embed from Getty Images

11. Plan a night out with your friends

We’re in college. Pulling the occasional all-nighter and sacrificing a night out because of how much work you have due the next day is inevitable. But, every once in a while, it is important to put down the books and just let loose. Go see a movie, go to dinner, or paint a picture. Grades are important but so is your mental health.

12. Meditate

Embed from Getty Images

13. Take a nap

14. Do something that scares you

Embed from Getty Images

15. See a therapist

There is still an unfortunate stigma surrounding therapy and mental health. None of us want to be labeled as crazy or seem too weak to handle our own issues. But, the truth is, even the strongest people need help sometimes, and even the people who love you most don’t always know how to. Why not see someone whose only job is to listen to you and whose top priority is to make sure that you’re okay? With free counseling provided by our university, and it being conveniently located right on campus, there is really no reason not to.

Jordan Lewis

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...