Edge, Music

WVUM’s playlist of the week

Welcome to the fourth edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, a list of the ten best songs out right now according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

José James – “Kissing My Love” from Lean On Me (Blue Note)

James creates a celebration album of Bill Withers with 12 of his most classic tracks. James is known for his R&B and funk sound, but he tries to stay true to Withers southern-jazz sound throughout the project.

JoseJames_LeanOnMe_cover.jpg

Jungle – “Beat 54 (All Good Now)” from For Ever (XL)

Rolling Stone magazine best describes the funky electro-duo as “supra-Pharrell falsettos over bouncy bass lines and light, airy funk-pop.” Our MD, Jordan, is Pharrell’s biggest fan so his influence being shown in new production is very exciting.

51GPCRVZO5L._SS500.jpg

Jerry Paper – “Your Cocoon” from Like a Baby (Stones Throw)

Warped, jazz-inflected melodies straight from the mind of one of modern indie’s great eccentrics. Features production from BADBADNOTGOOD keyboardist Matthew Tavares.

your-cocoon.jpg

Sahababii – “Anime World” from Squidtastic (Casting Bait)

Chicago rapper continues his career in the right direction with his new album. Clear influences by Young Thug over watery beats make this album a must-listen.

1535747456_f97721ecb8011c6004de2bf902f762ed.jpg

Shmu – “Lead Me to the Glow” from Lead Me to the Glow (Self-Released)

This technicolor earworm is goofy, flamboyant and beaming with joy. Recommended for those who love experimental pop that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

a0846864679_10.jpg

Tropa Magica – “Koopa-Cabras” from Y La Muerte De Los Commons (Self-Released)

Classic 8-Bit video game aesthetics level up some choice latin funk.

a3645244140_10.jpg

Marie Davidson – “Work It” from Working Class Woman (Ninja Tune)

Marie Davidson is a woman who works hard, and she lets us know loud and clear over a classic, mechanic techno beat.

working class woman_marie davidson.jpg

Ryan Hemsworth – “This Feeling ft. Marco McKinnis” from Elsewhere (Secret Songs/Last Gang)

Canadian electronic musician & producer Ryan Hemsworth has released Elsewhere, his first full-length since 2014. This pop and bass inspired project is flooded with features such as Nebu Kiniza, Joji, and many more.

51m8ZGQOr5L._SS500.jpg

Eric Copeland – “Mateo” from Trogg Modal, Vol. 1 (DFA)

Disco never died, it morphed and multiplied into the staggering number of electronic genres we know today. Eric Copeland uses old-school synths to give a new school interpretation to the genre.

a0602792247_10.jpg

Cat Power – “Woman (feat. Lana Del Rey)” from Wanderer (Domino)

Two generations of indie women join forces to sing a raw tune about real women.

0d6bcbddd218094ab9113a3e34e13f66b9ec26b8.jpg

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...