Edge, Music

WVUM’s playlist of the week

Welcome to the fourth edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, a list of the ten best songs out right now according to WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

José James – “Kissing My Love” from Lean On Me (Blue Note)

James creates a celebration album of Bill Withers with 12 of his most classic tracks. James is known for his R&B and funk sound, but he tries to stay true to Withers southern-jazz sound throughout the project.

JoseJames_LeanOnMe_cover.jpg

Jungle – “Beat 54 (All Good Now)” from For Ever (XL)

Rolling Stone magazine best describes the funky electro-duo as “supra-Pharrell falsettos over bouncy bass lines and light, airy funk-pop.” Our MD, Jordan, is Pharrell’s biggest fan so his influence being shown in new production is very exciting.

51GPCRVZO5L._SS500.jpg

Jerry Paper – “Your Cocoon” from Like a Baby (Stones Throw)

Warped, jazz-inflected melodies straight from the mind of one of modern indie’s great eccentrics. Features production from BADBADNOTGOOD keyboardist Matthew Tavares.

your-cocoon.jpg

Sahababii – “Anime World” from Squidtastic (Casting Bait)

Chicago rapper continues his career in the right direction with his new album. Clear influences by Young Thug over watery beats make this album a must-listen.

1535747456_f97721ecb8011c6004de2bf902f762ed.jpg

Shmu – “Lead Me to the Glow” from Lead Me to the Glow (Self-Released)

This technicolor earworm is goofy, flamboyant and beaming with joy. Recommended for those who love experimental pop that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

a0846864679_10.jpg

Tropa Magica – “Koopa-Cabras” from Y La Muerte De Los Commons (Self-Released)

Classic 8-Bit video game aesthetics level up some choice latin funk.

a3645244140_10.jpg

Marie Davidson – “Work It” from Working Class Woman (Ninja Tune)

Marie Davidson is a woman who works hard, and she lets us know loud and clear over a classic, mechanic techno beat.

working class woman_marie davidson.jpg

Ryan Hemsworth – “This Feeling ft. Marco McKinnis” from Elsewhere (Secret Songs/Last Gang)

Canadian electronic musician & producer Ryan Hemsworth has released Elsewhere, his first full-length since 2014. This pop and bass inspired project is flooded with features such as Nebu Kiniza, Joji, and many more.

51m8ZGQOr5L._SS500.jpg

Eric Copeland – “Mateo” from Trogg Modal, Vol. 1 (DFA)

Disco never died, it morphed and multiplied into the staggering number of electronic genres we know today. Eric Copeland uses old-school synths to give a new school interpretation to the genre.

a0602792247_10.jpg

Cat Power – “Woman (feat. Lana Del Rey)” from Wanderer (Domino)

Two generations of indie women join forces to sing a raw tune about real women.

0d6bcbddd218094ab9113a3e34e13f66b9ec26b8.jpg

To listen to this week’s songs, click here.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

WVUM 90.5 FM

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...