Letters to the Editor, Opinion

“We are better than this.”

Dear University of Miami Community,

In light of the racist video shared on social media over the weekend, University of Miami Hillel, CanePAC, and Emet Israel condemn this most recent display of hate. As Jewish Canes, we know all too well the power of hate as the pain from three anti-Semitic incidents over the last six months is still fresh. On behalf of the entire Jewish community at the University of Miami, we are deeply saddened that such incidents keep happening and we stand with Black students. We understand that as Canes we need to be better than this. We are better than this. It is our moral duty as student leaders to ensure that the University of Miami remains a safe and welcoming community for everyone. We believe it is our obligation to uphold a standard that is only welcoming and the least bit exclusive. We need to support those who are targets of prejudice and harassment and continue to build bridges between all students to foster a culture of belonging, understanding, respect, and acceptance.

In Solidarity,

Brandon Jackson – president, UM Hillel

Casey Dresbach – president, UM Hillel

Galia Bernat – president, Emet Israel

Ally Schwart – president, CanePAC

Letter to the Editor

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

For the second straight week, redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams pulled in Atlantic Coast ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

Miami's 2019 recruiting class was among the best in the ACC and nationally according to Collegi ...

Daevenia Achong fell one win short of giving the Miami women's tennis team a second Milwaukee T ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...