Letters to the Editor, Opinion

“We are better than this.”

Dear University of Miami Community,

In light of the racist video shared on social media over the weekend, University of Miami Hillel, CanePAC, and Emet Israel condemn this most recent display of hate. As Jewish Canes, we know all too well the power of hate as the pain from three anti-Semitic incidents over the last six months is still fresh. On behalf of the entire Jewish community at the University of Miami, we are deeply saddened that such incidents keep happening and we stand with Black students. We understand that as Canes we need to be better than this. We are better than this. It is our moral duty as student leaders to ensure that the University of Miami remains a safe and welcoming community for everyone. We believe it is our obligation to uphold a standard that is only welcoming and the least bit exclusive. We need to support those who are targets of prejudice and harassment and continue to build bridges between all students to foster a culture of belonging, understanding, respect, and acceptance.

In Solidarity,

Brandon Jackson – president, UM Hillel

Casey Dresbach – president, UM Hillel

Galia Bernat – president, Emet Israel

Ally Schwart – president, CanePAC

Letter to the Editor

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...