Letters to the Editor, Opinion

“We are better than this.”

Dear University of Miami Community,

In light of the racist video shared on social media over the weekend, University of Miami Hillel, CanePAC, and Emet Israel condemn this most recent display of hate. As Jewish Canes, we know all too well the power of hate as the pain from three anti-Semitic incidents over the last six months is still fresh. On behalf of the entire Jewish community at the University of Miami, we are deeply saddened that such incidents keep happening and we stand with Black students. We understand that as Canes we need to be better than this. We are better than this. It is our moral duty as student leaders to ensure that the University of Miami remains a safe and welcoming community for everyone. We believe it is our obligation to uphold a standard that is only welcoming and the least bit exclusive. We need to support those who are targets of prejudice and harassment and continue to build bridges between all students to foster a culture of belonging, understanding, respect, and acceptance.

In Solidarity,

Brandon Jackson – president, UM Hillel

Casey Dresbach – president, UM Hillel

Galia Bernat – president, Emet Israel

Ally Schwart – president, CanePAC

Letter to the Editor

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...