Letters to the Editor, Opinion

“We are better than this.”

Dear University of Miami Community,

In light of the racist video shared on social media over the weekend, University of Miami Hillel, CanePAC, and Emet Israel condemn this most recent display of hate. As Jewish Canes, we know all too well the power of hate as the pain from three anti-Semitic incidents over the last six months is still fresh. On behalf of the entire Jewish community at the University of Miami, we are deeply saddened that such incidents keep happening and we stand with Black students. We understand that as Canes we need to be better than this. We are better than this. It is our moral duty as student leaders to ensure that the University of Miami remains a safe and welcoming community for everyone. We believe it is our obligation to uphold a standard that is only welcoming and the least bit exclusive. We need to support those who are targets of prejudice and harassment and continue to build bridges between all students to foster a culture of belonging, understanding, respect, and acceptance.

In Solidarity,

Brandon Jackson – president, UM Hillel

Casey Dresbach – president, UM Hillel

Galia Bernat – president, Emet Israel

Ally Schwart – president, CanePAC

Letter to the Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...