Campus Life, Community, News

Gandhi Day promotes service, self-discovery

Through its National Gandhi Day of service, the University of Miami’s Butler Center for Service and Leadership offers students the chance to serve their communities.

The annual event took place Oct. 13. Throughout the day, 372 students contributed more than 2,232 total combined volunteer hours, said Madison Guido, a co-chair of Gandhi Day.

But Guido, a senior majoring in biology, said Gandhi Day is about self-discovery as much as it’s about helping others. She said she hopes students will discover new passions as they get involved with community service.

“Being selfless and doing things for people that are maybe less fortunate or don’t have the things we do is eye-opening and allows you to ground yourself,” said Guido. “At the end of the day, they are doing a service for the community and themselves.”

Participants spent the day tackling service projects at 27 different locations, including Vizcaya, Lotus House, Shake-a-leg and Bill Baggs Cape Park. Depending on their assignments, students had the chance to garden, pick up trash and spend time with local community members.

Site leader Divina Chandiramani led UM students in picking up litter at Tropical Park’s football stadium. She said it was a great experience.

“It’s important to give back, and this is a small way to do that,” said Chandiramani, a junior double majoring in marketing and finance. “It feels so impactful to be making a difference; it gives me a different kind of joy.”

Members of the business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi, were among those in Chandiramani’s volunteer group. Olivia Dubi was one of these members and said this was her first time participating in Gandhi Day.

“I like how everybody is going to different areas, so we’re really touching all of Miami,” said Dubi, a sophomore who in the global business studies program. “I know how hard the people who organized this day worked to organize it and so I really wanted to be a part of it.”

For Guido, seeing Gandhi Day’s impact on the community validated all the hard work in that went into planning the event.

“Seeing the pictures that our site leaders sent back to us of everyone doing service was really amazing and made me realize this is what it’s all about,” said Guido. “This is why it’s worth it. I’m so happy we were able to pull off the day, it was so great.”

Natalia Rovira

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...