Cross Country/Track and Field, Soccer, Sports, Swimming/Diving, Volleyball

Final stretch of Hurricanes’ fall athletics

Cross Country

Sophomore Simone Vreeland ran a season-best 19:14.04, finishing 11th overall, at the USF Invitational in Tampa, Florida.

Senior Anne den Otter notched the Hurricanes’ next best time with a 19:40.04 performance.

For the men’s team, sophomore Dylan Sykes was the first Hurricane to complete the event for the fourth consecutive meet. Sykes tallied a top-20 finish with a time of 28:25.92.

With the end of the regular season, Miami will head to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts for the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships Oct. 26.

Rowing

The fall season started off in the right direction for the Hurricanes at the Head of the Indian Creek.

UM had seven boats race in the regatta hosted by the Miami Beach Rowing Club.

The Canes had three boats participate in the Women’s Open Collegiate 8+ event. The Hurricanes’ “A” boat finished in first place with a time of 14:17 in the Women’s Open Collegiate 8+ event.

Miami’s “A” squad secured a silver medal with a time of 15:31 in the Women’s Collegiate Champ 4+ event while the Canes “D” boat grabbed the bronze medal clocking in at 16:35.

UM will compete against the University of Central Florida in a scrimmage Nov. 10 in Orlando.

Soccer

After giving up a goal in the 34th minute of the match, the Hurricanes were able to play lockdown defense and tied No. 8 Boston College, 1-1.

Redshirt senior Phallon Tullis-Joyce secured a season-high eight saves against the Eagles.

Freshman forward Mallory Olsson scored the lone UM tally, weaving past the BC defense and finessing her shot perfectly over the goalkeeper’s head, into the top corner of the net.

“This a really good step in the right direction in terms of realizing our potential,” coach Sarah Barnes said. “Although they had good chances, I think we created really clear chances right in front of the goal.”

Miami (5-7-1, 2-4-1 ACC) next visit the North Carolina State Wolfpack 7 p.m. Oct. 18 at Dail Soccer Field.

Swimming and Diving

The Hurricanes concluded their two-day tournament in Dallas at the SMU Classic finishing fifth with 227.5 points.

Sophomore Alicia Blagg continued to dominate, notching a first-place performance in the one-meter dive and second (313.35) on the three-meter dive.

UM freshman swimmer Maria Artigas Fernandez registered a time of 4:20.79 in the 400 IM, placing her third in Hurricanes history for that specific race.

Miami will head to Atlanta to face off against Georgia Tech, Florida Gulf Coast University, and The Savannah College of Art and Design Oct. 19-20.

Women’s Tennis

On the final day of the Bedford Cup, Miami was able to secure three championships at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Freshman Lucia Marzal Martinez won the No. 1 Singles flight main draw trophy. Senior Ana Madcur won the consolation draw of the tournament while junior Yuna Ito and sophomore Ulyana Shirokova took the Doubles No. 2 main draw trophy.

Marzal Martinez defeated No. 87 Rebeka Stolmar, from the University of Central Florida, in two straight sets, 6-2,6-3.

“I’m really happy Lucia had such a successful weekend,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “This is really going to boost her confidence moving forward. She had a very good week-and-a-half of practice and it showed this weekend.”

The Hurricanes went 15-6 in singles matches and ended the Bedford Cup in with a total record of 19-7.

Volleyball

The Hurricanes split a pair of road Atlantic Coast Conference contests.

Miami dropped its match against the Syracuse Orange, 3-1, Friday, Oct. 12.

The Canes were led by redshirt sophomore Elizaveta Lukianova, who had 16 kills and three blocks in the 26-24, 20-25, 15-25, 22-25, loss. Rookie outside hitter Chloe Brown added 11 kills.

Despite the defeat, Miami was able to complete its road trip with a victory against the Boston College Eagles on Sunday, Oct. 14 in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.

UM notched its first ACC sweep of the season defeating BC, 25-23, 26-24, 25-22.

Senior outside hitter Kolby Bird stole the spotlight with 13 kills, three blocks and a service ace against the Eagles.

The Canes (10-5, 6-2 ACC) will return to Coral Gables and face off against the Clemson Tigers 7 p.m. Oct. 19 at the James L. Knight Sports Complex.

Maxwell Trink

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...