Columnists, Opinion

Don’t be so quick to judge millennials

Among the laundry list of millennial hallmarks I can’t stand lies the phrase “entitlement,” closely followed by Tinder and veganized pastries.

Baby boomers and Gen X’ers think we’re ignorant to their reductive perception: the millennial girl Snapchatting down the street, disengaged, drafting a mental coordinate plot of every Starbucks within a five-mile radius, on her way to 8 a.m. SoulCycle, getting in shape before her dreaded workday doing the bare minimum at the job that her aunt’s cousin’s sister’s hairstylist got for her. I mean she has to feed that cold brew addiction somehow. She struts like she owns the world, no regard for those who went before her, pioneering the technology in her hand or the opportunity at her fingertips. Utter, inexcusable entitlement.

I’ll be the first to concede that I occasionally fit this mold. Our generation has undoubtedly yielded superficiality and materialism and it can be hard to stay down to earth. However, I fundamentally disagree with the way this prototypical millennial is perceived by the elder generations.

Yes, she may be contorting her expression into the duck face in an openly public forum toward a handheld device. But, what you don’t know is that she’s sending this picture to a close friend she met studying abroad in Venezuela. Her Venezuelan friend speaks broken English, and she speaks Spanglish at best, but they bonded over the universal language of art as they explored museums, concerts and films together. Communication through Snapchat isn’t inhibited by language; it’s become their preferred medium.

Yes, she may be minutes away from shelling out 30 bucks to have a disconcertingly over-caffeinated instructor teach her proper hand positioning on a stationary bike in a room one roofie away from being a full-blown South Beach discotheque. However, perhaps there’s more going on. Maybe she had an eating disorder earlier in life, an increasingly rampant issue in our generation, and has found SoulCycle and it’s party-inspired vibe a fun, measured way to stay healthy.

And perhaps she is working at a job garnered from a distant connection, that she hasn’t rightfully earned, detached from her surroundings. She’s the picture of entitlement. Well to this I say, yes, maybe you’re right. Maybe she is just hopelessly self-centered, toting around a ballooning superiority complex.

But maybe look a little deeper. Maybe your crystallized preconceived notions are obscuring your judgment. Maybe she’s a champion for LGBTQ+ rights and these stodgy old cubicles are just riddled with homophobia. Maybe she aspires to speak out about body image and writes a blog about her eating disorder experience on her laptop during breaks. Maybe she’s fresh out of med school but can’t seem to pin down a job in this gridlocked market and is itching to make a bigger impact. Maybe she really is grateful for this opportunity but she’s struggling to reconcile the generations, too.

People love to classify. It simplifies the complexities of humanity. But be mindful, Boomers, there may be more to us than meets the eye.

Dana Munro is a TMH alum currently attending the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Her column, Glass Half Full, ran every Tuesday in spring 2018.

Dana Munro

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...