Academics, Campus Life, Community, News

Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen named Distinguished Presidential Fellow at UM

After 29 years as a representative for Florida’s 27th Congressional District, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen will be stepping away from meetings in Washington and into classrooms at the University of Miami. She has been named a Distinguished Presidential Fellow and will begin teaching at UM during the 2019 Spring semester.

The class, called Congress and American Foreign Policy, will be the first in a series of classes taught by Ros-Lehtinen and offer students a unique opportunity to hear about Congress from an insider’s perspective.

Ros-Lehtinen has been involved in Florida’s government since 1982 when she was elected to the Florida State House of Representatives. She became a member of the Florida Senate in 1986 and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1989. She was the first Hispanic woman to serve in each of these government bodies.

Senior lecturer in UM’s political science department, Arthur Simon, was elected to the Florida House the same year as Ros-Lehtinen. He said she served with distinction and that she would be re-elected for another term in Congress if she was not retiring.

“She has a tremendous amount of legislative knowledge,” Simon said. “You might say she’s my idol in a way.”

Ros-Lehtinen’s first class will focus on Congress’s influence on American foreign policy, with a specific emphasis on the Cold War era and beyond. Her husband, former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Dexter Lehtinen, will also contribute his knowledge to the lectures.

UM administration established the Distinguished Presidential Fellows and Scholars program as part of its “Roadmap to Our New Century 100 Talents” initiative. The program seeks to attract accomplished scholars who can contribute their unique talents to the UM community.

Ros-Lehtinen earned a doctorate in education from UM in 2004 and is looking forward to returning, the university said.

“I’m excited to be back home at the U where I will have the challenging opportunity to exchange ideas with today’s bright minds and future leaders on the vexing foreign policy issues confronting our nation,” Ros-Lehtinen told News@theU.

Rebecca Goddard

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...