Academics, Campus Life, Community, News

Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen named Distinguished Presidential Fellow at UM

After 29 years as a representative for Florida’s 27th Congressional District, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen will be stepping away from meetings in Washington and into classrooms at the University of Miami. She has been named a Distinguished Presidential Fellow and will begin teaching at UM during the 2019 Spring semester.

The class, called Congress and American Foreign Policy, will be the first in a series of classes taught by Ros-Lehtinen and offer students a unique opportunity to hear about Congress from an insider’s perspective.

Ros-Lehtinen has been involved in Florida’s government since 1982 when she was elected to the Florida State House of Representatives. She became a member of the Florida Senate in 1986 and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1989. She was the first Hispanic woman to serve in each of these government bodies.

Senior lecturer in UM’s political science department, Arthur Simon, was elected to the Florida House the same year as Ros-Lehtinen. He said she served with distinction and that she would be re-elected for another term in Congress if she was not retiring.

“She has a tremendous amount of legislative knowledge,” Simon said. “You might say she’s my idol in a way.”

Ros-Lehtinen’s first class will focus on Congress’s influence on American foreign policy, with a specific emphasis on the Cold War era and beyond. Her husband, former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida Dexter Lehtinen, will also contribute his knowledge to the lectures.

UM administration established the Distinguished Presidential Fellows and Scholars program as part of its “Roadmap to Our New Century 100 Talents” initiative. The program seeks to attract accomplished scholars who can contribute their unique talents to the UM community.

Ros-Lehtinen earned a doctorate in education from UM in 2004 and is looking forward to returning, the university said.

“I’m excited to be back home at the U where I will have the challenging opportunity to exchange ideas with today’s bright minds and future leaders on the vexing foreign policy issues confronting our nation,” Ros-Lehtinen told News@theU.

Rebecca Goddard

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...