Commentary, Cover, Football, Sports

A letter to South Florida: Changes need to be made, but remain calm

Dear South Florida,

The season is not over.

The Hurricanes were upset by the Cavaliers in demoralizing fashion at Virginia. It happened.

“It’s going to be a tough pill to swallow,” head coach Mark Richt said, following the 16-13 defeat. “It’s going to be a long flight home. It’s going to be a long time before we get to play another game, so we have some things we have to get straightened out.”

However, Miami’s season goal is still intact. UM has the opportunity to repeat as Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division champions.

Don’t forget, just a year ago, Richt led the Hurricanes — who rose as high as No. 2 in the College Football Playoff rankings — to their first ACC Coastal title in program history and the first 10-win season since 2003.

Under Richt, Miami has signed up some of the nation’s best talent, finishing with top-level recruiting classes.

But some of those key cogs haven’t blossomed into elite players.

“We have to be better,” fifth-year senior Malik Rosier said. “I think coach Richt nailed it on the head. He said ‘We don’t have average players, but we’re playing average.’ And, we have to get better from that stand point.”

Compounded by questionable playcalling, Richt’s honeymoon as head coach is over. Miami hasn’t beaten a Power 5 team on the road since Oct. 28, 2017, when the Hurricanes defeated the North Carolina Tar Heels, 24-19, in Chapel Hill.

But don’t simply disregard what UM has accomplished under his tutelage.

Less than three years ago, the Al Golden experiment failed. Golden’s run finished with an embarrassing 58-0 loss against Clemson with banners being flown around South Florida. In four-plus seasons, he notched just a 32-25 record and fell shy of beating rival Florida State five times.

Whereas Richt has accumulated a 24-9 ledger midway through his third campaign and has defeated the Seminoles in back-to-back years.

But that doesn’t mean change should be avoided. The Hurricanes offense could use a facelift. Against ACC opponents, Miami has scored just under 26 points per game during Richt’s tenure.

Whether it is a change on Richt’s coaching staff, a change of who calls the plays or even a change in the design of the plays themselves, change is needed.

“If there is a time in-season to make certain changes, you can do them, whether it’s just scheme or maybe personnel or whatever it may be,” Richt said. “Sometimes, time will help you. Certainly, it’ll be a couple sleepless nights for me, I know.”

If the Canes can make the appropriate changes, things should be just fine in South Florida.

“We still have a lot of football ahead of us,” Richt said. “We still have the opportunity to get to Charlotte. That’s not dead, that’s not over. But that certainly, that game…Virginia earned the right to win, we didn’t do enough to get it done.”

Regardless, the Richt era is still in its growing stage. Many experts thought Miami would never even get back to this point.

So, don’t start flying a “C’MON, #FIREMARKRICHT THESE BANNERS ARE EXPENSIVE” sign around Hard Rock Stadium.

For now, enjoy the final stretch of Hurricanes football and everything that comes with it. Soak in every trek to the stadium, cherish the moments spent tailgating with friends and family and the Turnover Chain because before you know it, you’ll be counting down the days until the 2019 season kicks off.

Josh White

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...