Cover, Football, Sports

Quarterbacks prove ineffective, No. 16 Miami upset by Virginia

If there is anything certain about college football, it’s that there are no guarantees. 

Just one week ago, Miami quarterback N’Kosi Perry had thrown four touchdowns to lead the Hurricanes from 20 points down to defeat rival Florida State, seemingly securing his starting spot over former lead man Malik Rosier – at least for a few games.

But by the 11:16 mark in the second quarter Saturday night against Virginia, Perry – who started the game but struggled – was sitting on the bench watching Rosier check into the game to lead the offense.

Neither quarterback was effective, and the No. 16-ranked Hurricanes never led in a demoralizing 16-13 loss to unranked Virginia, almost certainly ending UM’s College Football Playoff chances.

It’s apparent that Miami head coach Mark Richt was trying to preach this message to his quarterbacks: Nothing is given, and everything is earned.

But the point Richt was trying to prove went in vain as Perry completed just three of his six pass attempts for 20 yards and two interceptions, while Rosier went 12-of-23 passing for 170 yards, with one rushing touchdown and one interception. Perry never re-entered the contest after getting pulled. 

Rosier pulled the deficit within three after an 11-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter, but it was followed by a poor special teams play on the ensuing possession where Virginia would run out the clock.

UM (5-2, 2-1 ACC) totaled 339 yards of total offense, but a good amount of the yardage came with the Cavaliers (4-2, 2-1 ACC) clearly baiting the Hurricanes to waste clock.

The Canes’ defense did their part, recording nine tackles for loss, four sacks and forcing three turnovers. But the offense couldn’t get any rhythm all night long.

It was a sloppy performance by both teams, but Virginia capitalized on three Miami turnovers to score its only touchdown of the night, on a 7-yard scamper by running back Jordan Ellis.

Only time will tell who will be the starter for Miami following its bye week. After the break, the Hurricanes will play at Boston College at 7 p.m. Oct. 26.

This story will be updated.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...