Columnists, Opinion

Self-acceptance can help students overcome unrealistic Miami standards

College can be overwhelming, especially for new students. There are assignments to submit, tests to study for, social events to attend and barely any time for sleep. This constant bustle of college life doesn’t leave much room in our schedules for nutrition, and in a big city such as Miami, the pressure to keep up with looks can lead to body image issues and a culture that’s all about appearances.

The prospect of gaining the dreaded “freshman 15” has scared some students so much that they resort to drastic, unhealthy methods of preventing it, resulting in another problem altogether: a sort of “reverse freshman 15.” Today, up to 20 percent of college students claim to have an eating disorder, according to the Walden Center for Education and Research—and in 2011, a University Oregon study revealed that most college students don’t even eat one serving of fruits and vegetables per day. The lack of nutrition is widespread, and multifaceted.

At a popular school such as the University of Miami, body positivity can often be easier said than done. People often put immense pressure on themselves to look a certain way, to keep up with the glitz and glamour that surrounds them. While the students themselves often celebrate diversity and self-confidence, the coveted “Miami standard” the area is known for can still be hard to escape. Overcoming it calls for changes in how we see, and treat, ourselves.

Like any woman in her 20s, I too have felt unhappy with what I see in the mirror. One way I was able to combat unhealthy trends was discovering that how I feel about myself is directly related to the kind of people who surround me. I chose to focus my attention on spending time with the loyal friends in my life that had stuck by me, and less on those who were content letting the friendship fade away

When I narrowed my inner circle, it positively affected everything in my life, especially how I saw myself. By strengthening friendships with those who genuinely rooted for my success, I became more accepting of my flaws and insecurities, instead of being hindered by them.

Practicing balance and taking the shame out of treating yourself also helps. Something as simple as having breakfast every day can promote body positivity and self-care by giving the body the fuel it needs to feel and perform its best. According to a 2006 study from Saint Martin’s University, this simple step alone can help students improve their short-term memory retention in classes following breakfast.

Once I began to implement balance in my life regarding food, I felt a huge shift. Academic accomplishments, being a loyal friend, and treating others kindly proved to be much more important goals. It’s still a daily pep talk I give myself, but it has made me happier knowing that others cannot define me by my appearance because I do not define myself by it.

There is no such thing as the perfect body, and there never will be. I’ve found that it is much better to be happy than perfect. We can reach this happiness by not adhering to society’s unrealistic standards, instead setting our own standards and telling ourselves each day that we’re more than enough.

Nicole Macias is a junior majoring in English.

Nicole Macias

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...