Community, Crime and Safety, News

Police chase, crash closes U.S. 1 near Coral Gables campus

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 4.35.17 PM.png

Source: @UMiamiEnn (Twitter)

A police chase and crash involving a stolen vehicle briefly closed U.S. 1 near the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Monday, Oct. 8.

A Miami-Dade police officer attempted to pull over a Honda Element, which was traveling northbound near the intersection of Grenada Boulevard and U.S. 1, police said.

When the officer tried to stop the vehicle, the 16-year-old driver immediately accelerated at a high speed and lost control of the car, police said. The car struck a tree in the median and swerved into the southbound lanes.

The crash backed up northbound traffic on U.S. 1 beyond Red Road, and backed up southbound traffic past Bird Road, according to a tweet from the University of Miami’s Emergency Notification Network.

“I was trying to drive to school and realized traffic was backed up for miles,” said Hailey Burke, a senior sport administration major. “Roads were shut down, cops were directing traffic around the scene down Ponce. It caused me to take so many detours to get to class and resulted in me being late for class.”

The driver and 15-year-old back-seat passenger were ejected from the vehicle and transported to the hospital in critical condition, Miami-Dade Police said. The other passenger was transported in stable condition.

The police officer was responding to a 911 call in the area of SW 83rd Court & SW 78th Street. The caller reported that two individuals were attempting to open vehicle doors, according to police.

A gun was also found at the scene. Police received reports of a stolen vehicle later in the morning, and their investigation confirmed that the missing vehicle was the one involved in the accident.

Tommy Fletcher contributed to this report.

Rebecca Goddard

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...