Community, News

National Gandhi Day of Service offers students chance to connect with community

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.17.32 AM.png

Students clean up Tropical Park as a part of Gandhi Day 2015. Photo courtesy Butler Center.

The University of Miami’s largest annual service day, The National Gandhi Day of Service, will take place Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and offer students a chance to get involved in their off-campus community.

Participants will be bussed to one of 28 South Florida service sites to spend a few hours working hard for the benefit of others. Possible activities include cleaning up local beaches, preparing meals for a veteran’s hospital, doing Halloween crafts at a children’s museum and interacting with nursing home residents.

But Gandhi Day co-chair Madison Guido said that students can expect more than a day of service. She said participants will also gain the opportunity to connect with their community.

“It’s kind of easy to get caught up in the bubble of UM and UM’s campus, but I think it’s important to go out there and meet other people,” said Guido, a senior biology major.

The other co-chair, Tori Diceglio, said that students should take advantage of Gandhi Day to get off campus and learn about the many volunteer opportunities that surround UM.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.16.38 AM.png

Students garden as a part of Gandhi Day 2015. Photo courtesy Butler Center.

“I think it’s a great way to connect us with the outside local area and to show that we are a philanthropic school and that our students do care about the surrounding areas and helping those who are less fortunate,” she said.

The event will begin at 9 a.m. on the UC Patio and Breezeway. After students sign in and receive their location assignments, they will get a free breakfast and a T-shirt. They’ll also have the chance to mingle with each other and meet their group leaders before boarding the buses and heading to the service sites.

Once on location, students will spend two to three hours participating in various community service projects. Gandhi Day vice-chair Meghana Chapalamadugu said that although aspects of these tasks can be difficult, they’re worth the effort.

“I mean sure, you get a little sweaty, you get your hands dirty, but at the end of the day, you’re able to bond with a group of people while doing something positive in the community,” said Chapalamadugu, a junior neuroscience major.

Diceglio said Gandhi Day’s name comes from its relationship to the famous political activist, Mahatma Gandhi. The service day is strategically held within two weeks of Gandhi’s birthday, which is Oct. 2, in order to honor his legacy as a proponent of positive change, Diceglio said.

“It comes from the idea of practicing what you preach and doing what you want to see happen,” Chapalamadugu said.

Diceglio, Guido and Chapalamadugu all said seeing the impact of all their hard work is the best part of any service day.

“I just think that seeing other people really puts life into perspective. It makes you realize how grateful you should be for what we have here,” said Diceglio.

Students can register to participate in Gandhi Day on the event’s OrgSync page. The deadline for registration is Oct. 11.

Rebecca Goddard

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...