Community, News

National Gandhi Day of Service offers students chance to connect with community

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.17.32 AM.png

Students clean up Tropical Park as a part of Gandhi Day 2015. Photo courtesy Butler Center.

The University of Miami’s largest annual service day, The National Gandhi Day of Service, will take place Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and offer students a chance to get involved in their off-campus community.

Participants will be bussed to one of 28 South Florida service sites to spend a few hours working hard for the benefit of others. Possible activities include cleaning up local beaches, preparing meals for a veteran’s hospital, doing Halloween crafts at a children’s museum and interacting with nursing home residents.

But Gandhi Day co-chair Madison Guido said that students can expect more than a day of service. She said participants will also gain the opportunity to connect with their community.

“It’s kind of easy to get caught up in the bubble of UM and UM’s campus, but I think it’s important to go out there and meet other people,” said Guido, a senior biology major.

The other co-chair, Tori Diceglio, said that students should take advantage of Gandhi Day to get off campus and learn about the many volunteer opportunities that surround UM.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.16.38 AM.png

Students garden as a part of Gandhi Day 2015. Photo courtesy Butler Center.

“I think it’s a great way to connect us with the outside local area and to show that we are a philanthropic school and that our students do care about the surrounding areas and helping those who are less fortunate,” she said.

The event will begin at 9 a.m. on the UC Patio and Breezeway. After students sign in and receive their location assignments, they will get a free breakfast and a T-shirt. They’ll also have the chance to mingle with each other and meet their group leaders before boarding the buses and heading to the service sites.

Once on location, students will spend two to three hours participating in various community service projects. Gandhi Day vice-chair Meghana Chapalamadugu said that although aspects of these tasks can be difficult, they’re worth the effort.

“I mean sure, you get a little sweaty, you get your hands dirty, but at the end of the day, you’re able to bond with a group of people while doing something positive in the community,” said Chapalamadugu, a junior neuroscience major.

Diceglio said Gandhi Day’s name comes from its relationship to the famous political activist, Mahatma Gandhi. The service day is strategically held within two weeks of Gandhi’s birthday, which is Oct. 2, in order to honor his legacy as a proponent of positive change, Diceglio said.

“It comes from the idea of practicing what you preach and doing what you want to see happen,” Chapalamadugu said.

Diceglio, Guido and Chapalamadugu all said seeing the impact of all their hard work is the best part of any service day.

“I just think that seeing other people really puts life into perspective. It makes you realize how grateful you should be for what we have here,” said Diceglio.

Students can register to participate in Gandhi Day on the event’s OrgSync page. The deadline for registration is Oct. 11.

Rebecca Goddard

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...