Football, Sports

Ahmmon Richards suffers career-ending injury

Ahmmon Richards

Photo credit: Josh White

Hurricanes standout Ahmmon Richards’ football career ended after sustaining a disabling neck injury, Miami announced on Sunday, Oct. 7.

“This is not easy to swallow, for anybody,” Hurricanes coach Mark Richt said. “We’re just thankful that he’s going to be able to lead a very productive life and that there’s nothing catastrophic as far as how his life will not change dramatically from a physical standpoint, as much as it is from being a ballplayer to not being a ballplayer.”

Richards hasn’t appeared for Miami since sustaining a knee injury in UM’s 33-17 loss to LSU Sept. 2.

It remains unclear how or when the Wellington, Florida, native hurt his neck.

“We’re sad that it’s over, for his career,” Richt said. “But we’ll love him up, take care of him and I know he’ll do well in life because he’s a sharp kid.”

Richards thanked the Canes’ training and medical staffs, as well as UM’s coaches, for their support.

“I’m extremely appreciative of the University’s athletic training and medical staffs for diagnosing this injury, and to the football coaches and staff for always putting my health first,” said Richards, in a statement released by Miami. “I plan to continue working towards my degree at UM and look forward to the next chapter in my life.”

The former 6-foot-1, 192-pound receiver played in 22 games, including 19 starts, for Miami over three seasons. He finished his collegiate career with 74 catches for 1,382 yards and six touchdowns.

Richards broke Michael Irvin’s program freshman receiving record with 934 yards and was named a 2016 Freshman All-American and second-team All-ACC selection.

The former four-star recruit chose Miami over offers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Auburn, among others.

He received an outpouring of support on social media, including from Hurricanes tight end Brevin Jordan.

“I remember when I first got here during the summer and [used]to watch you and was shook watching first-round talent before my eyes,” Jordan wrote on Twitter. “[You’re] a savage bro, on and off the field. God got a plan for you my guy just trust his plan.”

Richards’ injury marks the second career-ending injury for the Hurricanes in the last year. Malek Young underwent career-ending surgery on his neck following Miami’s 34-24 loss to Wisconsin in the 2017 Orange Bowl.

“All these guys, they’re not my sons, but in a lot of ways they’re like my sons,” Richt said. “We like to treat our players the way we would treat our own sons, our own children. As a staff, one of our big philosophies is that. So, when anything happens with your own child you grieve for him. It’s not easy to swallow for anybody.”

Josh White

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...