Football, Sports

Ahmmon Richards suffers career-ending injury

Ahmmon Richards

Photo credit: Josh White

Hurricanes standout Ahmmon Richards’ football career ended after sustaining a disabling neck injury, Miami announced on Sunday, Oct. 7.

“This is not easy to swallow, for anybody,” Hurricanes coach Mark Richt said. “We’re just thankful that he’s going to be able to lead a very productive life and that there’s nothing catastrophic as far as how his life will not change dramatically from a physical standpoint, as much as it is from being a ballplayer to not being a ballplayer.”

Richards hasn’t appeared for Miami since sustaining a knee injury in UM’s 33-17 loss to LSU Sept. 2.

It remains unclear how or when the Wellington, Florida, native hurt his neck.

“We’re sad that it’s over, for his career,” Richt said. “But we’ll love him up, take care of him and I know he’ll do well in life because he’s a sharp kid.”

Richards thanked the Canes’ training and medical staffs, as well as UM’s coaches, for their support.

“I’m extremely appreciative of the University’s athletic training and medical staffs for diagnosing this injury, and to the football coaches and staff for always putting my health first,” said Richards, in a statement released by Miami. “I plan to continue working towards my degree at UM and look forward to the next chapter in my life.”

The former 6-foot-1, 192-pound receiver played in 22 games, including 19 starts, for Miami over three seasons. He finished his collegiate career with 74 catches for 1,382 yards and six touchdowns.

Richards broke Michael Irvin’s program freshman receiving record with 934 yards and was named a 2016 Freshman All-American and second-team All-ACC selection.

The former four-star recruit chose Miami over offers from Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Auburn, among others.

He received an outpouring of support on social media, including from Hurricanes tight end Brevin Jordan.

“I remember when I first got here during the summer and [used]to watch you and was shook watching first-round talent before my eyes,” Jordan wrote on Twitter. “[You’re] a savage bro, on and off the field. God got a plan for you my guy just trust his plan.”

Richards’ injury marks the second career-ending injury for the Hurricanes in the last year. Malek Young underwent career-ending surgery on his neck following Miami’s 34-24 loss to Wisconsin in the 2017 Orange Bowl.

“All these guys, they’re not my sons, but in a lot of ways they’re like my sons,” Richt said. “We like to treat our players the way we would treat our own sons, our own children. As a staff, one of our big philosophies is that. So, when anything happens with your own child you grieve for him. It’s not easy to swallow for anybody.”

Josh White

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...