Community, Edge

5 things you didn’t know you needed in your day bag

Whether it be backpack or a tote, a messenger bag or a briefcase, the bags we carry to class serve one main purpose: to carry your books, computer and notes. While many students remember the academic essentials, there are plenty of secondary items that often go forgotten. Well, The Hurricane’s got you covered.

Here are five things you didn’t know you needed in your day bag.

Umbrella and/or rain jacket

How do you spot a freshman on campus? You wait until a two-minute shower hits campus and look for the soaking wet students. Students who are not from Florida, like myself, tend to learn this the hard way. Don’t stress about checking the forecast; make your life easier (and drier) by always carrying an extra umbrella in your backpack.

Umbrella.jpeg

Don't let the rainy whether stop you from showing school spirit. Pick up a 'Canes themed umbrella from the UM bookstore, starting at $18. Source: bkstr.com/miamistore Photo credit: bkstr.com/miamistore

Snacks

While there are plenty of options on campus to grab a bite to eat, you never know when you’ll be sitting in a class when your stomach decides to add its own two cents to the discussion. Before you head out the door to class, pack a protein pick-me-up to power through. Peanut butter, trail mix or even a protein bar is a healthy and filling way to curb your hunger.

Jacket

Yes, you read this correctly. Even though you sweat on the way to class and complain all day about the heat and humidity, the truth of the matter is that the climate of most classrooms closely resembles that of the arctic tundra. A lightweight jacket can do the trick when you start to feel chilly during a lecture.

Phone charger

You text, Snapchat, ‘gram, or even Airdrop memes all day. You turn to your friends and ask to borrow their charger, and nobody has one. Now you are stuck with a dead phone. This situation could have been avoided if you brought a spare charger. While you’re at it, throw in a portable charger, too; you never know when you won’t have access to an outlet.

Portable charger.jpg

Get this portable power bank, and others like it, on Amazon for as low as $10.99. Source: amazon.com

Hydrocortisone Cream

You’re sitting in class when, all of a sudden, your leg itches like crazy. You look down to find a colossal red welt on your leg. You need something to stop the itch at that very moment. Sound familiar? We’ve all been there. Don’t let the bug bites get you down. Living in South Florida, it is imperative to carry hydrocortisone cream. You never truly know when a pesky little bite will cause an obnoxious itch.

Jacqueline Levine

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...