Culture, Music

WVUM’s playlist of the week

Welcome to the second edition of WVUM Radio’s Playlist of the Week, where we tell you our favorite tracks from the past seven days.

Beak> – “Brean Down” from >>> (Temporary Residence/Invada)

An angular groove that takes cues from the best of Krautrock and experimental rock of the ‘80s. Features guitar work from Geoff Barrow of the perennially hip Portishead.

beak>

Lambda Celsius – “Get Out” from Ana Echo And The Beauty Of Indifference (Scorpion Beach/Banana Tapes)

A sinister synth pop gem that channels the best aspects of Depeche Mode in their prime. Perfect for night driving down an empty interstate.

lambda-celsius

Chris Liebing – “Zero One” from Burn Slow (Mute)

One of Germany’s finest sons captures the dark pulse of quintessential German techno.

chris-liebing

Kyle Knight – “Truth” from The Truth EP (Self Released)

Kyle Knight is a socially-conscious Hip Hop artist and activist. This is especially crucial now in our current political climate.

kyle-knight

Maribou State – “Feel Good” from Kingdoms of Colour (Ninja Tune)

Maribou State’s new album Kingdoms In Colour is a testament to how far the electronic English duo has come since their debut, featuring Holly Walker & Khruangbin in their exciting sound.

maribou-state

Christine & The Queens – “Girlfriend (Dam-Funk)” from Chris (Capitol)

On her new album, Christine of Christine and the Queens develops a seductive male pop-star alter ego, enlisting electro-funk wizard Dâm-Funk to create a track guaranteed to get all the ladies on the dance floor.

christine-and-the-queens

Yumi Zouma – “Crush It’s Late (Just Stay)” from EP III – (Cascine)

Yumi Zouma began as a project in 2013 between four friends from Christchurch, New Zealand. They’re now back with the third dreamy, disco-accented rock EP.

yumi-zouma

Richard Swift – “Kensington!” from The Hex ”(Secretly Canadian)

After his death, The Hex was released. This song “Kensington!” is an indie-jazz narrative about his darkness and his demons.

richard-swift

Gilberto Rodriguez – “Totonita Encantadora” from Sabor Maracuyá Desnuda (Empty Cellar)

The groovy jam-band released this album of Latin soul, taking you to a tropical location instantly.

gilberto-rodriguez

Hypoluxo – “Kentucky Smooth” from Running on a Fence (Broken Circles)

With their signature calm, cool, and collected disposition; the band pulls off a somehow-seamless smattering of shoegaze, indie rock, and dream pop.

hypoluxo

To listen to this week’s songs, find “wvum_music” on Spotify.

WVUM 90.5 FM is the student-run radio station of the University of Miami. To get involved, stop by their music staff meetings Mondays at 6 p.m. in the WVUM office or visit wvum.org/apply.

This week’s playlist by WVUM music directors Jordan Abrams and Peter Melero.

WVUM 90.5 FM

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of