Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Marco Rubio should help #endTB by supporting federal budget allocations

It may surprise you to learn that tuberculosis is still the world’s leading infectious killer. It’s curable and preventable—yet the World Health Organization’s 2018 Global Tuberculosis Report estimated 10.0 million new cases.

On Sept. 26, world leaders met for the first-ever UN General Assembly High-Level Meeting on Tuberculosis to reaffirm their commitment to end this global epidemic by 2030. As a prominent figure on the world stage, our nation holds a moral obligation to ensure the sufficient, sustainable financing required to eradicate this deadly disease.

capitol-22546_1920.jpg

Source: Pixabay

The proposed 2019 federal budget allocations to the US Agency for International Developments TB Account differ by $27 million (Senate: $275 million, House of Representatives: $302 million)—a disparity that could cost the lives of thousands. Partners in Health Engage Miami, a chief student-led global health organization proudly rooted in University of Miami, urges Senator Marco Rubio to uphold his recent call to action to #endTB by supporting the House of Representatives figure in the ongoing budget reconciliation process.

Calvin Antonetty, HM2, United States Navy, is a fourth-year medical anthropology major and president of Partners in Health Engage Miami.

Letter to the Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...