Edge, Music

Game of Thrones Live Experience hits Sunrise, highlighting the most iconic scenes from the show

The magic of Westeros returned to South Florida with “Game of Thrones” composer Ramin Djawadi, a full orchestra and South Carolina choir, special effects and exquisite costume designs.

The Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience hit the BB&T Center in Sunrise for the second time on Sept. 22. Djawadi, along with the orchestra and choir, performed songs from all seven seasons of “Game of Thrones,” highlighting the most memorable scenes from the show on a big screen behind them.

khalisi.jpg

The Mother of Dragons: The concert highlighted the most iconic scenes from all seven seasons of the show on a massive screen behind the orchestra and choir. Photo credit: Elina Katrin

“Enjoy yourself, have fun, and if you see your favorite character, your favorite villain, your favorite scene, I wanna hear it,” Djawadi said at the beginning of the concert.

The audience obliged, cheering and booing at characters as they appeared on the screen. Loud exclamations, such as “Shame! Shame!” on Cersei Lannister or “King of the North!” for Jon Snow, filled the arena and united GoT fans.

“I hope that this is a good holdover until we get the next season,” Djawadi said during the performance.

Djawadi, a German-Iranian composer who won his first Emmy Award this month for GoT, also scores HBO’s science-fiction hit “Westworld” and Amazon’s brand-new “Jack Ryan.” He plans to start working on music for GoT’s eighth season after his tour that overall includes 21 shows in North America and two in Canada.

While performing, Djawadi shared with fans some insights of scoring the series. He said that while working on the show, he writes music to picture, meaning he gets to see new seasons way before many others. However, the process of creating one of the themes for the house of Lannisters, “The Rains of Castamere,” was different from other songs. Djawadi shared how David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the showrunners, called him while shooting the second season of the show and asked him to write a new theme with lyrics from George R. R. Martin’s book.

“‘We’re gonna set this new theme up in season two, and then by the time, in season three, when we come to the now infamous ‘Red Wedding,’ that theme will play there, and then everybody will know ‘wait a minute, that’s the Lannisters, that doesn’t belong here’,’” Djawadi recalled of their conversation.

The audience at BB&T Center not only relived the “Red Wedding” along with other famous scenes from the show, but could also almost feel the cold of Westeros’ winter with simulated confetti-snow when the story moved to the North or the heat of dragon flames every time Daenerys Targaryen said “Dracarys.” Various costumes and decorations, such as picture-moving stages or a “flying” violinist Molly Rogers, with an extremely long dress and rose petals falling on the stage, were quite remarkable, too.

violin.jpg

Rose petals falling to the ground as a violinist Molly Rogers finishes her performance. Photo credit: Elina Katrin

Music, of course, still remained the key factor to the full GoT world experience.

“What I really enjoy about writing music for ‘Game of Thrones’ is that I get to use a lot of unusual and ethnic instruments,” Djawadi said.

Aside from the common orchestra instruments, the Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience featured Indian tabla, Armenian duduk, didgeridoo and hammered dulcimer, as each of them is crucial for different themes of the show. For instance, hammered dulcimer, which Djawadi played himself, is a frequently occurring instrument in Arya Stark’s theme “Needle.”

The Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience was more than just a concert; it became a fun get-together event for South Florida fans of the show, many of whom cosplayed their favorite characters or donned their favorite GoT merch.

To get tickets for the upcoming shows in North America, visit the official website of the 2018 tour at https://www.gameofthronesconcert.com/.

Elina Katrin

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...