Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes storm past Orange for first conference victory

Coach Sarah Barnes can finally put an Atlantic Coast Conference victory in her career win column. 

The Miami Hurricanes shutout the Syracuse Orange, 1-0, Saturday, Sept. 29 at Cobb Stadium to pick up their first and lone victory in September.

“Syracuse and us are all in a bit of a desperate state,” Barnes said. “The team has been on the cusp of some wins for a month now and we’ve fallen a bit short. We have to get results.”

The Hurricanes (4-6-2, 1-3 ACC) and the Orange (3-9-0, 0-4 ACC) both sit at the bottom of the ACC standings.

With the victory, Miami ended its seven-game winless drought, notching its first win since the team defeated the Lipscomb Bisons Aug. 26 at the Music City Invitational in Nashville, Tennessee.

Freshman forward Gudrun Haralz notched the solo goal in the 33rd minute poking it past the Orange goalkeeper just outside the six-yard box.

“It was an important win.” said Haralz, who leads the team with 10 points. “We haven’t been doing really well these past few games. I feel really good now. We are just going to keep picking up on this.”

Junior defender Bayleigh Chaviers and senior midfielder Jamie Brunworth both received assists on the play. Brunworth has registered six points in her last six games.

“I really like what we did out there,” Brunworth said. “Game management was a key part of our win. We need to continue playing like we did tonight.”

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce totaled two saves in her second shutout of the year.

Miami will head on a two-game road trip against the Pittsburgh Panthers and the Louisville Cardinals before returning to Coral Gables.

“Going into [Pitt], I think they are going to be up for the game and have a really strong performance,” Barnes said. “I think it’s going to be about managing the game and making sure we control the tempo.”

The Canes will look to spark up a win streak against the Panthers 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Petersen Sports Complex.

The Orange are set to visit the No. 23 North Carolina State Wolfpack 7 p.m. Oct 4 at Dail Soccer Field.

Maxwell Trink

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...