Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes storm past Orange for first conference victory

Coach Sarah Barnes can finally put an Atlantic Coast Conference victory in her career win column. 

The Miami Hurricanes shutout the Syracuse Orange, 1-0, Saturday, Sept. 29 at Cobb Stadium to pick up their first and lone victory in September.

“Syracuse and us are all in a bit of a desperate state,” Barnes said. “The team has been on the cusp of some wins for a month now and we’ve fallen a bit short. We have to get results.”

The Hurricanes (4-6-2, 1-3 ACC) and the Orange (3-9-0, 0-4 ACC) both sit at the bottom of the ACC standings.

With the victory, Miami ended its seven-game winless drought, notching its first win since the team defeated the Lipscomb Bisons Aug. 26 at the Music City Invitational in Nashville, Tennessee.

Freshman forward Gudrun Haralz notched the solo goal in the 33rd minute poking it past the Orange goalkeeper just outside the six-yard box.

“It was an important win.” said Haralz, who leads the team with 10 points. “We haven’t been doing really well these past few games. I feel really good now. We are just going to keep picking up on this.”

Junior defender Bayleigh Chaviers and senior midfielder Jamie Brunworth both received assists on the play. Brunworth has registered six points in her last six games.

“I really like what we did out there,” Brunworth said. “Game management was a key part of our win. We need to continue playing like we did tonight.”

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce totaled two saves in her second shutout of the year.

Miami will head on a two-game road trip against the Pittsburgh Panthers and the Louisville Cardinals before returning to Coral Gables.

“Going into [Pitt], I think they are going to be up for the game and have a really strong performance,” Barnes said. “I think it’s going to be about managing the game and making sure we control the tempo.”

The Canes will look to spark up a win streak against the Panthers 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Petersen Sports Complex.

The Orange are set to visit the No. 23 North Carolina State Wolfpack 7 p.m. Oct 4 at Dail Soccer Field.

Maxwell Trink

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

For the second straight week, redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams pulled in Atlantic Coast ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

Miami's 2019 recruiting class was among the best in the ACC and nationally according to Collegi ...

Daevenia Achong fell one win short of giving the Miami women's tennis team a second Milwaukee T ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...