Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes storm past Orange for first conference victory

Coach Sarah Barnes can finally put an Atlantic Coast Conference victory in her career win column. 

The Miami Hurricanes shutout the Syracuse Orange, 1-0, Saturday, Sept. 29 at Cobb Stadium to pick up their first and lone victory in September.

“Syracuse and us are all in a bit of a desperate state,” Barnes said. “The team has been on the cusp of some wins for a month now and we’ve fallen a bit short. We have to get results.”

The Hurricanes (4-6-2, 1-3 ACC) and the Orange (3-9-0, 0-4 ACC) both sit at the bottom of the ACC standings.

With the victory, Miami ended its seven-game winless drought, notching its first win since the team defeated the Lipscomb Bisons Aug. 26 at the Music City Invitational in Nashville, Tennessee.

Freshman forward Gudrun Haralz notched the solo goal in the 33rd minute poking it past the Orange goalkeeper just outside the six-yard box.

“It was an important win.” said Haralz, who leads the team with 10 points. “We haven’t been doing really well these past few games. I feel really good now. We are just going to keep picking up on this.”

Junior defender Bayleigh Chaviers and senior midfielder Jamie Brunworth both received assists on the play. Brunworth has registered six points in her last six games.

“I really like what we did out there,” Brunworth said. “Game management was a key part of our win. We need to continue playing like we did tonight.”

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce totaled two saves in her second shutout of the year.

Miami will head on a two-game road trip against the Pittsburgh Panthers and the Louisville Cardinals before returning to Coral Gables.

“Going into [Pitt], I think they are going to be up for the game and have a really strong performance,” Barnes said. “I think it’s going to be about managing the game and making sure we control the tempo.”

The Canes will look to spark up a win streak against the Panthers 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Petersen Sports Complex.

The Orange are set to visit the No. 23 North Carolina State Wolfpack 7 p.m. Oct 4 at Dail Soccer Field.

Maxwell Trink

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the changes in Miami, and what the future could bring to nei ...

The history of the Caribbean city will be examined during a two-day symposium this week featuring ar ...

Buoyed by a game-best 17 points and a career-high 10 rebounds from Kameron McGusty, who posted his f ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

Katie Meier has sent more than a few of her assistant coaches on to direct their own programs. And W ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will take the court on Wednesday morning in fro ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...