Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes storm past Orange for first conference victory

Coach Sarah Barnes can finally put an Atlantic Coast Conference victory in her career win column. 

The Miami Hurricanes shutout the Syracuse Orange, 1-0, Saturday, Sept. 29 at Cobb Stadium to pick up their first and lone victory in September.

“Syracuse and us are all in a bit of a desperate state,” Barnes said. “The team has been on the cusp of some wins for a month now and we’ve fallen a bit short. We have to get results.”

The Hurricanes (4-6-2, 1-3 ACC) and the Orange (3-9-0, 0-4 ACC) both sit at the bottom of the ACC standings.

With the victory, Miami ended its seven-game winless drought, notching its first win since the team defeated the Lipscomb Bisons Aug. 26 at the Music City Invitational in Nashville, Tennessee.

Freshman forward Gudrun Haralz notched the solo goal in the 33rd minute poking it past the Orange goalkeeper just outside the six-yard box.

“It was an important win.” said Haralz, who leads the team with 10 points. “We haven’t been doing really well these past few games. I feel really good now. We are just going to keep picking up on this.”

Junior defender Bayleigh Chaviers and senior midfielder Jamie Brunworth both received assists on the play. Brunworth has registered six points in her last six games.

“I really like what we did out there,” Brunworth said. “Game management was a key part of our win. We need to continue playing like we did tonight.”

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce totaled two saves in her second shutout of the year.

Miami will head on a two-game road trip against the Pittsburgh Panthers and the Louisville Cardinals before returning to Coral Gables.

“Going into [Pitt], I think they are going to be up for the game and have a really strong performance,” Barnes said. “I think it’s going to be about managing the game and making sure we control the tempo.”

The Canes will look to spark up a win streak against the Panthers 7 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Petersen Sports Complex.

The Orange are set to visit the No. 23 North Carolina State Wolfpack 7 p.m. Oct 4 at Dail Soccer Field.

Maxwell Trink

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...