Academics, Community, Cover, News, Obituaries

Former UM professor dies after hit-and-run in Coconut Grove

hertzig.jpg

David Hertzig, a former UM math professor, died Saturday when he was struck by a car while bicycling to work. Source: math.miami.edu

Update, 4:35 p.m., Oct. 1: Stephen Cantrell, the current chair of the department of mathematics, said Hertzig was a “distinguished algebraist” and a “versatile individual.” Hertzig’s passing has deeply saddened his friends and colleagues in the math department, Cantrell said.

“Professor Hertzig always projected a real joy in living,” Cantrell said. “We will miss him.”

Former University of Miami professor David Hertzig died Saturday as a result of injuries he sustained after being struck by a hit-and-run driver Sept. 24.

Hertzig, 85, was biking through Coconut Grove, on his way to teach a class at Miami Dade College, when a man driving a blue Jaguar ran into him near Southwest 37th Avenue and Charles Terrace.

According to police, eye witnesses reported that the driver got out of his car and made a quick phone call before fleeing the scene.

The suspect has not yet been identified, but witnesses said he was a white man with gray hair, a receding hairline and a height of about 5 feet 10 inches. He is thought to be in his 50s or 60s.

Hertzig was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s trauma center, suffering from multiple broken bones, a torn artery and a detached lung.

He remained in critical condition for six days before succumbing to his injuries.

Hertzig served as UM’s department chairman of mathematics from 1970-1976 and graduated from UM’s law school in 1978. Although he wasn’t currently teaching classes at UM, Hertzig remained a member of the emeritus faculty.

Now, his family is calling for justice and asks community members to come forward with any information that could lead to the arrest of the hit-and-run driver.

Anyone with information can call an on-duty Miami detective at 305-603-6525.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...