Academics, Community, Cover, News, Obituaries

Former UM professor dies after hit-and-run in Coconut Grove

hertzig.jpg

David Hertzig, a former UM math professor, died Saturday when he was struck by a car while bicycling to work. Source: math.miami.edu

Update, 4:35 p.m., Oct. 1: Stephen Cantrell, the current chair of the department of mathematics, said Hertzig was a “distinguished algebraist” and a “versatile individual.” Hertzig’s passing has deeply saddened his friends and colleagues in the math department, Cantrell said.

“Professor Hertzig always projected a real joy in living,” Cantrell said. “We will miss him.”

Former University of Miami professor David Hertzig died Saturday as a result of injuries he sustained after being struck by a hit-and-run driver Sept. 24.

Hertzig, 85, was biking through Coconut Grove, on his way to teach a class at Miami Dade College, when a man driving a blue Jaguar ran into him near Southwest 37th Avenue and Charles Terrace.

According to police, eye witnesses reported that the driver got out of his car and made a quick phone call before fleeing the scene.

The suspect has not yet been identified, but witnesses said he was a white man with gray hair, a receding hairline and a height of about 5 feet 10 inches. He is thought to be in his 50s or 60s.

Hertzig was rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s trauma center, suffering from multiple broken bones, a torn artery and a detached lung.

He remained in critical condition for six days before succumbing to his injuries.

Hertzig served as UM’s department chairman of mathematics from 1970-1976 and graduated from UM’s law school in 1978. Although he wasn’t currently teaching classes at UM, Hertzig remained a member of the emeritus faculty.

Now, his family is calling for justice and asks community members to come forward with any information that could lead to the arrest of the hit-and-run driver.

Anyone with information can call an on-duty Miami detective at 305-603-6525.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...