Community, Cover, News, Obituaries

Sophomore dies five weeks after car accident

baylie-grogan.jpeg

Sophomore Baylie Grogan died Thursday morning from injuries she sustained in a car accident Aug. 19. A memorial service will be planned soon, Vice President Patricia Whitely said.

Baylie Grogan, a UM sophomore majoring in microbiology and immunology, died Thursday morning as a result of injuries she sustained Aug. 19 after being struck by a car.

In a statement sent to all UM students Thursday around 3 p.m., Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely said Grogan was a genuinely kind and compassionate person who loved spending time with her friends and family.

“Baylie’s legacy as a caring and bright young woman will carry on with all of those who knew her,” Whitely said.

Grogan also enjoyed literature, nature and animals, according to the statement. She hoped to become a doctor, and was an active member of the UM Equestrian team as well as the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.

screenshot-whitely.jpeg

At the time of the accident, the president of UM’s ZTA chapter, Chloe Vizzone, underscored the positive impact that Baylie had on UM.

“Baylie is the type of member you hope to have,” said Vizzone. “She is a friend to everyone, tremendously academically-focused and ambitious, and she never fails to put a smile on your face.”

Whitely asked members of the UM community to keep Grogan’s family in their thoughts and prayers.

The accident occurred while Grogan was crossing the intersection of U.S. 1 and Red Road. After being struck by a car, she was immediately transported to the intensive care unit of Kendall Regional Hospital, where she remained in a coma with multiple fractures and internal injuries.

While still unconscious, Grogan was transported to a hospital in Boston. She died there after her friends and family raised over $37,000 on GoFundMe to cover medical expenses.

Whitely said there will be a memorial service to honor Grogan in the future.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Rebecca Goddard

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...