Letters to the Editor, Opinion

What UM can learn from lower ranking

To the editors of The Miami Hurricane,

It is certainly true that students at UM shouldn’t worry much about our school’s recent rankings slide in the U.S. News and World Report. Many fields of study don’t change much from school to school, and our university only offers more opportunities for a good education as time goes by. But that isn’t to say that UM should ignore rankings, and why we’ve fallen in them, entirely.

U.S. News announced that it was changing its methods to reflect more weight on student outcomes, like graduation figures and socioeconomic mobility, like supporting students from low-income families. Conversely, it would put less emphasis on acceptance rates and entry-level standardized test scores. These are good ideas that measure a university by its ability to add value to a student’s life, not by its ability to find privileged high-schoolers. If our school is below UF, that is a testament to what they do better than us.

I trust that the administration will recognize the value of these new goals: President Frenk’s strategy, the “Roadmap To Our New Century,” includes some heartening (if boilerplate) language on diversity and inclusion. While they’re here, and once they graduate into the “real” world, students should reflect on the value of seeking different experiences in the people around them. In a world of inequality and privilege, any systematic effort to advance opportunity for all is a lesson worth celebrating. Even if it pushes UM below UF.

William Quinlan, University of Miami Class of 2016, is a second-year law student at UM.

Letter to the Editor

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...