Books, Edge

Miami professor publishes memory improvement book

nelson_dellis-6919.jpg

Nelson Dellis, a four-time US Memory Champion and computer science professor at UM, will release his first book "Remember It" on Sept. 25. The book acts as a guide to memory improvement for adults. Source: nellsondellis.com

University of Miami Computer Science professor Nelson Dellis is set to release his second book “Remember It!” on September 25. Dellis described the book as a “memory technique how-to book.”

According to Dellis, people are almost completely reliant on their memory, and said everything from performing well on exams to inhaling oxygen is based upon the ability to remember.

“Memory training is a preventative measure and an exercise,” he said. “Along with physical health, we need to think about keeping our brains healthy.”

Dellis explained his motivation behind writing “Remember It!” and his journey leading up to it. “I was inspired to improve my memory by my grandmother who passed away from Alzheimer’s in 2009,” he said.

Dellis, who noticed memory issues of his own, wanted to do everything he could to bring his memory to its full potential and keep it well-functioning for as long as possible.

“People can transform their memories from average to something that can do incredible things,” he said. “Memory is something you can always train with some practice and technique. It is possible to fix common mnemonic errors that most people make like forgetting names, misremembering passwords and misplacing keys.”

Dellis trained and perfected his memory technique, eventually competing in memory championships and winning four times. “People were asking me how I did it, so I ended up writing a book about it,” he said.

COVER.jpg

Cover of 'Remember It!', available for preorder at nelsondellis.com Photo credit: Courtesy of NelsonDellis.com

“Remember It!” has already received glowing reviews from both the New York Times and CNN’s Sanjay Gupta, and can be purchased on Dellis’ website, nelsondellis.com, and Amazon.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...