Books, Edge

Miami professor publishes memory improvement book

nelson_dellis-6919.jpg

Nelson Dellis, a four-time US Memory Champion and computer science professor at UM, will release his first book "Remember It" on Sept. 25. The book acts as a guide to memory improvement for adults. Source: nellsondellis.com

University of Miami Computer Science professor Nelson Dellis is set to release his second book “Remember It!” on September 25. Dellis described the book as a “memory technique how-to book.”

According to Dellis, people are almost completely reliant on their memory, and said everything from performing well on exams to inhaling oxygen is based upon the ability to remember.

“Memory training is a preventative measure and an exercise,” he said. “Along with physical health, we need to think about keeping our brains healthy.”

Dellis explained his motivation behind writing “Remember It!” and his journey leading up to it. “I was inspired to improve my memory by my grandmother who passed away from Alzheimer’s in 2009,” he said.

Dellis, who noticed memory issues of his own, wanted to do everything he could to bring his memory to its full potential and keep it well-functioning for as long as possible.

“People can transform their memories from average to something that can do incredible things,” he said. “Memory is something you can always train with some practice and technique. It is possible to fix common mnemonic errors that most people make like forgetting names, misremembering passwords and misplacing keys.”

Dellis trained and perfected his memory technique, eventually competing in memory championships and winning four times. “People were asking me how I did it, so I ended up writing a book about it,” he said.

COVER.jpg

Cover of 'Remember It!', available for preorder at nelsondellis.com Photo credit: Courtesy of NelsonDellis.com

“Remember It!” has already received glowing reviews from both the New York Times and CNN’s Sanjay Gupta, and can be purchased on Dellis’ website, nelsondellis.com, and Amazon.

Osarume Ikhinmwin

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...