Cover, Letters to the Editor

Yom Kippur forgiveness in the face of hate

We are in that period of time between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur known in Hebrew as the Aseret Yemei Teshuva, or the Ten Days of Repentance. According to Jewish tradition, it is during this time of deep introspection that God truly listens to our prayers as the gates of heaven remain wide open. One of the hallmarks of Yom Kippur is repentance, the ability to ask for and extend to others forgiveness. This is not always an easy process because it requires the person who has done something wrong to own her/his offense in the presence of the injured party.

Admitting to hurting someone, knowingly or unknowingly, requires strength and the ability to be vulnerable in the sight of others. Unfortunately, we are living through a period of time punctuated by petty Twitter threats and insults. And rather than owning our weaknesses, confessing our sins and voicing our regrets, we often stubbornly stand by our positions, as if to say, “I don’t see your pain.”

Well, I am in pain! Our campus community has experienced pain! And we need healing!

The sweetness of Rosh Hashanah became a little sourer upon hearing that a swastika and other anti-Semitic hate speech was discovered on a whiteboard in Eaton Residential College. While I am comforted by the fast response of the administration and UMPD to launch a complete and thorough investigation, I am deeply saddened that this is the third anti-Semitic incident on this campus in less than six months.

President Frenk’s aspirational vision for creating a culture of belonging is committed to diversity and inclusion. All forms of hatred, bigotry, racism, prejudice, anti-Semitism, homophobia, xenophobia and Islamophobia will not be tolerated on this campus and should not be tolerated in our world. Let me be clear: These anti-Semitic incidents are not representative of most our students and do not reflect the campus culture in this corner of Biscayne’s wondrous shore.

As the grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I never thought that I would see even a fraction of the evil that my grandparents witnessed first-hand. I have heard the stories and felt the pain but perhaps naively thought that such hatred couldn’t still exist in our world today. But a little over a year ago, I saw neo-Nazis march through the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia. And upon hearing that blame should be placed on both sides, I was shocked and angry. Nazi swastikas and anti-Semitic hate speech in the United States of America is intolerable, unacceptable and downright offensive. Period!

As a representative of the Jewish campus community and in the spirit of Yom Kippur, I welcome the opportunity to meet the person or people who defaced our great campus with anti-Semitic graffiti. I want to share my grandparents’ story of survival against Nazi persecution. I want to understand what motivates someone to hate another person because of their faith tradition. I want to teach about the Jewish approach to repentance. And since Canes Care for Canes, I ultimately want to be able to forgive. May the year 5779 on the Jewish calendar be a time when hatred gives way to love and let us all work together to help heal our fractured world.

Rabbi Lyle S. Rothman, University of Miami Hillel, Campus Rabbi and Jewish Chaplain Chair of the University of Miami Chaplains Association

Have something to say? Write your own letter to the editor.

Letter to the Editor

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...