Cover, Edge, Music

Patio Jams set kicks off the semester with ‘relaxing vibes’

patio-jams.jpg

Christina Martino and her band perform at the University of Miami UC Lakeside Patio for ‘Patio Jams’. Photo credit: Naomy Lelis

After a rainy morning, the sun broke through the clouds Sept. 6 over the Lakeside Patio Stage, where students gathered to hear University of Miami singer and songwriter Christina Martino perform with her band.

Students, some doing work on their laptops, listened Thursday as Martino, a junior, showcased a musical repertoire that included R&B, soul and funk

The weekly concerts, sponsored by Hurricane Productions, provide “a relaxing vibe where you can just come out and listen to music while you study,” said Kayla Hippolyte-Wad, vice executive chair of Patio Jams.

Local artists, including Bachaco, The Step Dads and Alexandra Angele, who performed in August, also are featured. The acts are booked to highlight all sorts of musical genres, Hippolyte-Wad said, from reggae, funk and rock to pop and R&B. The event grew out of a Student Government initiative in 2003 in part to provide students with more entertainment.

Patio Jams, sponsored by Hurricane Productions, brings live music to campus 12:15-1:30 p.m. every Thursday on the UC Patio. Here is a list of the remaining performances for fall semester.

• Sept. 20 – Julia Calvin
  • Sept. 27 – Micah Premnath
  • Oct. 4 – Poscfamafia
  • Oct. 11 – ZOLA Music
  • Oct. 19 – Ann Boyle
  • Oct. 26 – KATYA
  • Oct. 31 (Homecoming) – THE KIDS CAN’T SLEEP & Aaron Hicks
  • Nov. 8 – Keith Johns
  • Nov. 29 – Los Petardos!
  • Dec. 6 – Lucia Vanessa Izzolo
  • Dec. 13 – Aaron Lebos Reality

Naomy Lelis

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...