Cover, Edge, Music

Patio Jams set kicks off the semester with ‘relaxing vibes’

patio-jams.jpg

Christina Martino and her band perform at the University of Miami UC Lakeside Patio for ‘Patio Jams’. Photo credit: Naomy Lelis

After a rainy morning, the sun broke through the clouds Sept. 6 over the Lakeside Patio Stage, where students gathered to hear University of Miami singer and songwriter Christina Martino perform with her band.

Students, some doing work on their laptops, listened Thursday as Martino, a junior, showcased a musical repertoire that included R&B, soul and funk

The weekly concerts, sponsored by Hurricane Productions, provide “a relaxing vibe where you can just come out and listen to music while you study,” said Kayla Hippolyte-Wad, vice executive chair of Patio Jams.

Local artists, including Bachaco, The Step Dads and Alexandra Angele, who performed in August, also are featured. The acts are booked to highlight all sorts of musical genres, Hippolyte-Wad said, from reggae, funk and rock to pop and R&B. The event grew out of a Student Government initiative in 2003 in part to provide students with more entertainment.

Patio Jams, sponsored by Hurricane Productions, brings live music to campus 12:15-1:30 p.m. every Thursday on the UC Patio. Here is a list of the remaining performances for fall semester.

• Sept. 20 – Julia Calvin
  • Sept. 27 – Micah Premnath
  • Oct. 4 – Poscfamafia
  • Oct. 11 – ZOLA Music
  • Oct. 19 – Ann Boyle
  • Oct. 26 – KATYA
  • Oct. 31 (Homecoming) – THE KIDS CAN’T SLEEP & Aaron Hicks
  • Nov. 8 – Keith Johns
  • Nov. 29 – Los Petardos!
  • Dec. 6 – Lucia Vanessa Izzolo
  • Dec. 13 – Aaron Lebos Reality

Naomy Lelis

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...